Quarantining new fish.

Green Bananas

Hello everyone! I am a brand new to keeping fish let alone anything other then a dog. I’ve read a lot of horror stories with not quarantining new fish as well as negative or no effects when different medications are being used. Is it effective to quarantine new fish with aquarium salt alone? and if so for how long is it recommended? 

When I quarintine I dont quarintine with any meds. I just put the fish in my quarintine tank, and keep them there for 4 weeks. Yes this takes a while, but I wanna be 100% sure they dont have any illness. I would suggest to do the same.

Then when my quarintine is done I dry out my sponge filter, once its dried out I put it in my community tank to get some more bacteria on it for my next batch of quarintine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Mr Black points out, the concept of quarantining fish doesn't have anything to do with medication. The Aquarium co-op trio of quarantine medications is an extra precaution, to protect against diseases - like internal parasites - which are not obvious even after a prolonged quarantine.