How to cool water

The only reliable way to chill a tank long term is to buy a chiller. You can look on saltwater aquarium sites that sell those products, a saltwater fish store would have some or you could check Amazon. May need a pump to pump the water through the chiller as well as some tubing. They are expensive though, like a mini fridge that cools the water flowing through it. Also acrylic tanks insulate better than glass tanks.

You did mention asap, so you csn look at a fan blowing on the surface of the water, that csn lower temp by 5 or more degrees. Combine it with the above frozen water bottle trick and that should help. But I think a 1/10 hp chiller would work for a 40 gal tank. 

If you can't get a chiller for a long term solution, then you may have to see if the place you got it from can take it back. It will only suffer with prolonged high temps.

Edited by David Ellsworth

Right now my living room is 82.8 and the tank (40-ish gallons) is 78.3.  Because I live in Hawaii, it’s often hot and humid so fans are a necessity.  So far the tank’s not gone over 83 even though the room is about 86-88.  I use an Inkbird controller to turn on the fans when the tank gets to 79.  Both were found on Amazon.

38E0C5D0-21F0-40EB-89C5-F72B811A7372.jpeg

41DB9DB8-7446-417D-9647-5B413CCFF18C.jpeg

• Like 1