platy having babies

Chlo

I didn't know one of my platies is pregnant, but just yesterday I saw fry eyes inside her belly. Right now I just saved one fry that was laying at the bottom of the tank, but I don't have a breeder box. Right now I have it in a net at the top of the tank, and my mom is running out to get food and a breeder box. How long can the fry survive without food?? Should I keep the platy in a breeder box? When will she give birth to more babies?? Please help!

7 minutes ago, lefty o said:

they generally have some egg sack left on them when born, so dont need to be fed instantly. if she has only had the 1 baby, she will almost certainly have  more.

Oh ok thanks,  I just tried to put in some crushed flakes but it's not really eating. Do you know when the platy will give birth to more? Should I keep her in the breeding box? 

One more question, I don't have a fry tank set up, and I can't really set one up bc my tap has ammonia and I can't cycle it that fast. So is it fine to keep the fry in a breeder box for a while and then release them into the tank?

Edited by Chlo

8 minutes ago, lefty o said:

if you only get a few fry, a few days or a week in the breeder box shouldnt hurt.

Oh ok. My platy is in a breeder box right now, but will she eat her babies after she gives birth to more? I have another box with the fry I found.

2 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

How exciting! The breeder box will work fine. 
here’s the Aquarium Coop article on breeder boxes. Yours might not be a fancy as the one they sell but it should work fine for Platy Fry. 

Yeah, it's really cool that she gave birth, I just hope the fry will survive! Is it normal for the fry to sit at the bottom of the breeder box? I also put in some first bites, but it doesn't seem to be eating. Also, I don't think you sent a link, but I'll look up the article on the co op website!

11 minutes ago, Chlo said:

Oh ok. My platy is in a breeder box right now, but will she eat her babies after she gives birth to more? I have another box with the fry I found.

it is possible she might find them a tasty treat.  you just never know the first time they have babies. some are cannibals, and some could care less. once you are pretty sure she is done giving birth, then remove her from the breeder box.

I'm not sure if Mango (the platy) is done giving birth, her belly is smaller I think. I only found one fry, but she may have given birth to more before but the platies ate them. Should I just keep her in the breeder box longer in case? Also how often should I feed the fry? It hasn't really eaten the food I gave it yet, but hopefully it will later.

Bad news.....Mango ate the one fry😭😥 It swam through the separator and she just ate it. I hope she will give birth to more but i'm not sure if she will. Should I keep her in the breeder box or let her in the tank? If she has more fry do you think the chances it will survive will be better in the breeder box or tank?

Edited by Chlo

if it looks like she is done, take her out of the box. usually live bearers can give birth to all their fry in a fairly short time. start to finish, usually under an hour for a large number of fry.  not to worry, she will likely have more fry in about a month, and if this was her first time, will have many more fry the next batch.

1 hour ago, lefty o said:

if it looks like she is done, take her out of the box. usually live bearers can give birth to all their fry in a fairly short time. start to finish, usually under an hour for a large number of fry.  not to worry, she will likely have more fry in about a month, and if this was her first time, will have many more fry the next batch.

Oh ok, I also  found another fry that somehow escaped the breeder box and started swimming towards the other platies (!!!) but thankfully I saved it. I don't have any male platies, just 5 females, but hopefully I will get more babies sometime.

4 minutes ago, lefty o said:

even without having a male in the tank, she has been with one before, and can have several batches of babies from that.

Ooh yeah, how do they decide when to have the babies, or it just like whenever?