Water parameters help please

Tami

I am new, my tank has been cycled since June (without fish) - added fish slowly and have managed with water changes.  I added my otto on the 5th: pH7.5, Nitrates 30, ammonia and nitrites 0 (they have been zero since I cycled my tank - check weekly since I was adding stuff) - Oto has cleaned my tank! 

9/11 (interesting date) all of a sudden my pH 8.2 and Ammonia 0.5, Nitrates 40 (kH40/Gh150 using crappy strips) -

I have been doing 25% changes, vacuuming, turning my air stone off at night, using purified water mixed, tap water, treated with Aquasafe (this is what i have always used)

today my ammonia is closer in color to 1.0, ph 7.8, Nitrates 10-20

Why can't i get my ammonia down???? I am freaking out since the pH is higher too and Oto is new to the tank - is he the problem? he is so tiny

Thanks, I have actually cut back on the feeding - the only fish eating a lot is Oto (otocinclus) as he has cleaned all the visible brown algae in the tank.

Could it be that? My Priscilla tetra also surprised me and spawned on the 7th and 9th.

I have done 25% at least water changes on 9/11, 9/13 and 9/14 -- shouldn't that have taken care of it? nothing has changed?

any additional thoughts?

Have you tested your water before you put into the tank? Are there plants in the tank? How big is the tank? The addition of one small fish (Oto) won’t change your water parameters.Finally you’re changing water too often. I wouldn’t be surprised if your cycle is screwed up because of the constant changes.

When you say you cycled the tank, you saw the increase in ammonia, followed by a decrease, spike in nitrites, etc, all over time? If not, your tank may not have actually been cycled. Assuming your tank was indeed properly cycled, I agree with the above, could be overfeeding. Is it possible your Priscilla spawned because it is in distress? Like, "oh no, I might die! I better have some babies to my line doesnt die!" I have heard of other species doing that.

thanks everyone: 20 gal tank, cycled over 4 months without fish - yes, saw the up and downs, good nitrate numbers - has been stable during the slow additions of my fish (all still on the smaller side): 2 glass fish (6/13), 3 Priscilla tetras and 3 serpea tetras with a small anubius (6/21), 1 otocinclus (9/5) after working with brown algae (8/28 started). I also have on small java fern.

I only did the frequent water changes since the change in my pH from a steady 7.4 - 8.2 and my ammonia staying elevated, with some vacuuming.  My water has been fine until 9/14 water check.  Usually check every week with 25% water change, carbon filter change monthly unless nasty (inside the tank for 30gal), have bio rings, air stone, and fluvel plant light ( I want to plant more but am tryng to make small changes)

Yes, I have tested my water that i add since i buy purified and bring tap home from work (still trying to learn about using well water).  I found a crazy change in the tap water in July and made some adjustments. Use bottled spring water instead of tap sometimes.

I have a good idea of what my fish look like stressed - I had a major nitrate spike a bit back and picked up on it by my fish's behaviour.  If they are stressed they have always been because I haven't seen any changes. on 9/7 my water was fine 7.4, no ammonia/nitrite, nitrate 4

what can i do to lower the pH and ammonia? if just wait I will but was concerned about the otto

I would test the water you are adding to the tank. You say that you bring tap water home from work, check it, If it's city water, they may have changed their chemicals they add, such as changed form straight chlorine to chloramine, which would cause the ammonia problems. Also, test your tap water at home, most well water is fine for fish unless you have sulphur in your water. I've lived in two different houses with well water and used it for my fish tanks, including my fish room now. 

What have you done for filter maintenance? Make sure you just rinse any sponges out using tank water.

monthly i rinse and wipe the film off my filter, rinse the black sponge in there and the bio beads and replace the carbon/bio bag all in my bucket with tank water.  I do it 1-2 weeks after i partially vacuum (told not to vacuum a lot since i want to plant in my gravel subtrate and clean the glass.

I do test the water I bring home - it has been good since the craziness in June - i treat with Tetra AquaSafe.

I use an API master kit - what do I need to get to test my well water? we do have iron and iron bacteria.  the iron bacteria upset my 60lb dog's stomach, so i am nervous about using it without some more direction.

is there anything else I can do now to fix the ammonia in addition to decreased feeding?