Cleaning after dropsy

Savanna

Tl;dr: older betta developed dropsy. Is it "worth" treating him at this point? How do I sanitize the tank when he passes, as I'd like to get pea puffers later?

I have a "rescued" male betta that is at least 3 years old, likely older. The first 2 years of his life he lived in a 3 gallon with no heater. I moved him to a 10 gallon with live plants about two months ago. He has always been pretty inactive, even when his previous owners had him, but I noticed about two weeks ago that he didn't seen to be doing well and thought it was old age. He'd be better for a day or two, then back to being unwell. Overnight he started pineconing and I realize now that he has dropsy and most likely won't make it through the night, but I don't know how to euthanize him. My nitrates are at 25ppm after adding ferts today, nitrite is 0, ph is 7.8, his tank isn't gross, I have no idea where it came from. He's in pretty bad shape and I don't know that treatment would even help at this point. What do I need to do to sanitize the tank afterwards? I want to get pea puffers to put in here later on, but don't want to risk them getting it as well. 

20210528_165757.jpg

8 minutes ago, Colu said:

I would treat with kanaplex and furan2 for more  severe bacterial infection 

It looks like it would be at least a week before I could get it unfortunately as none of the stores around me carry that 😔 I'll definitely get some on order though in the off chance that whatever caused it manages to get into the tank next to his

I also think it's worth trying to treat. If he is swollen, epsom salt baths can hep with the swelling. If he's still eating, kanaplex in the food (bound with a product called focus) could be helpful, even more that just adding the med to the water column.

Sorry to hear he didn't make what I use is a  3% hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilise everything  also you can leave the tank empty for 2 weeks as well before adding any more fish that usely works

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Colu said:

Sorry to hear he didn't make what I use is a  3% hydrogen peroxide solution to sterilise everything  also you can leave the tank empty for 2 weeks as well before adding any more fish that usely works

OK, leaving it empty for awhile won't be a problem. I've got plants in there so I don't want to kill them on accident.