Can I move my pleco in his cave?

SWilson

Today is the day to move my green phantom pleco out of quarantine and into the display tank.  The LFS told me you generally don't want to net them because they can get caught, He's also bigger than the nets or containers I have at any rate.  

He spends all of the day in his cave - it's a 7 inch ceramic Pleco cave I bought from Select Aquatics ("Gen I" model) which he fits completely inside of.  I was thinking I could just cover the mouth of the cave in one hand, lift it out, and carry him over in it to the other tank.  It's about 15 feet distance between the tanks, if even.

The water parameters are the same in both tanks. 

Will this work or is it a terrible rookie mistake waiting to happen?  

Edited by SWilson
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SWilson said:

Today is the day to move my green phantom pleco out of quarantine and into the display tank.  The LFS told me you generally don't want to net them because they can get caught, He's also bigger than the nets or containers I have at any rate.  

He spends all of the day in his cave - it's a 7 inch ceramic Pleco cave I bought from Select Aquatics ("Gen I" model) which he fits completely inside of.  I was thinking I could just cover the mouth of the cave in one hand, lift it out, and carry him over in it to the other tank.  It's about 15 feet distance between the tanks, if even.

The water parameters are the same in both tanks. 

Will this work or is it a terrible rookie mistake waiting to happen?  

Yes, you’re fine to do that. Cover the opening and move. I’ve moved a lot with nets. It’s true, they can be caught in them, but I’ve never lost or seriously injured any doing that.

Huge fan of Greg Sage’s stuff. Way to go with the Pleco and cave! Here’s Ben with Greg when he spoke at our Fish Club.

D39D119B-0C39-41B2-8DEC-F8958A5098E3.jpeg

• Love 1

1 minute ago, SWilson said:

How wonderful!  I was blown away by how nice and responsive Greg was.  I'm really happy with the cave (and the pleco loves it) and I hope one day I can order some of the green phantoms from him! 

Hi e-mail replies are L E G E N D A R Y

• Like 1