New college reefer

Hi y’all I am going to start a saltwater tank for my dorm room. I am going to be getting the SCA 50 gallon starfire complete package. Also I am going to be getting the kessil tuna blue light. With these two things is the tank big enough for a pair of snowflake clowns, and can it support an anemone. Thx

12 hours ago, Stephen Zawacki said:

Hi y’all I am going to start a saltwater tank for my dorm room. I am going to be getting the SCA 50 gallon starfire complete package. Also I am going to be getting the kessil tuna blue light. With these two things is the tank big enough for a pair of snowflake clowns, and can it support an anemone. Thx

welcome to the forum. I don't have any saltwater fish yet but I think a 50 gallon could have a pair of clownfish, and I haven't researched anemone's all I know is some move

liveaquaria says 20 minimum

here is a nano-reef thread about clownfish tank size: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/304349-clownfish-min-tank-size-10-20-30/ 

Now I'm no expert in saltwater, but from researching a bunch in saltwater

• Yes two snowflake clowns can go perfectly in a 50. Infact some keep them in smaller tanks like 10-20 gallons. 
  • As far as the anemone, it all depends on the clownfish. Sometimes the clownfish will start hosting the anenmone right away, sometimes it will be a year before they start hosting it. Your best bet is to get a clownfish thats already hosting an anemone in the fish store and get both the anemone its hosting as well as the clownfish.
  • Bubbletip Anenemones are one of the most common anemones for clownfish to host.

It’ll definitely be big enough for some clowns and nems long term. Now, I’ve been researching saltwater for over a year and a half, and I’ve had a tank running since mid January this year, so I’ve got a bit of knowledge/experience but I’m still very much a noob. That being said, I’ve seen a lot of other reefers struggle with anemones, especially early on, so i would recommend getting the tank really established and getting a lot of other corals under your belt. Anemones are technically an invert, not a coral, but have very specific light requirements. The tuna blues I’ve heard good things about, but I have no idea what you’d need to set them to (I use an AI prime, and a much smaller tank). If you’re not already, I’d highly recommend getting onto the ReeftoReef forum, since it is saltwater focused and been around over a decade, so there’s a Ton of good info on there and it’s really well organized. I’d also recommend checking out Saltwateraquariumdotcom on YouTube and BulkReefSupply on YouTube as they have a Ton of good info for beginner reefers. Maintenance wise salt is very similar to fresh, but there’s a lot more chemicals to keep track of and a lot more problems that can occur.

good luck and enjoy the build!