Feeder Snail Tank

YeePuffer

I want to start breeding bladder snails so my pea puffer has a consistent supply of snails. My current idea is to purchase a one gallon aquarium kit and throw in a small plant with gravel and root tabs and just let them breed and continue to feed things like algae pellets and blood worms to them. I'm curious to see if any of you have feeder snail tanks and how you equipped them.

3 hours ago, YeePuffer said:

I want to start breeding bladder snails so my pea puffer has a consistent supply of snails. My current idea is to purchase a one gallon aquarium kit and throw in a small plant with gravel and root tabs and just let them breed and continue to feed things like algae pellets and blood worms to them. I'm curious to see if any of you have feeder snail tanks and how you equipped them.

got a 10 gallon going full of ram horn snails and also my sump system for my 150 is slap full of them..... my little pea puffers have an endless supply of ram horn snails

• Like 1

I keep a five gallon on my kitchen windowsill that originally was meant to breed pink ramshorn snails for my pea puffer. Now it's mostly for my own enjoyment, since I love these snails. Plus, my tanks have so many snails in them, I can easily nab a few off the top every day. But anyways, it's a "portrait" tank with a built in chamber in the back to act as a filter, but the pump kept getting clogged and I got tired of messing with it. So I bought a little internal filter on suction cups. I don't worry about heating this tank, it's always whatever the room temperature is. Here's a pic of the tank (during water change time, complete with a snail stuck in the hose, as usual). 

PXL_20210515_183751319.jpg.9a6fc9b5c078ef2cc9eacb41ab825d01.jpg

I have pothos growing out of the back, and I keep a little pouch of crushed coral in the filter. I do plan on adding more plants to make it nicer looking, but for now it's just a spoopy skull for decoration.

Bonus pic of the snails. I wanted to keep something I liked looking at, since it'd be a whole other tank for them, so that's why I chose pink.

PXL_20210321_182324564.PORTRAIT.jpg.b5e9885f042411387bf41a99b74f107d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

I keep a five gallon on my kitchen windowsill that originally was meant to breed pink ramshorn snails for my pea puffer. Now it's mostly for my own enjoyment, since I love these snails. Plus, my tanks have so many snails in them, I can easily nab a few off the top every day. But anyways, it's a "portrait" tank with a built in chamber in the back to act as a filter, but the pump kept getting clogged and I got tired of messing with it. So I bought a little internal filter on suction cups. I don't worry about heating this tank, it's always whatever the room temperature is. Here's a pic of the tank (during water change time, complete with a snail stuck in the hose, as usual). 

PXL_20210515_183751319.jpg.9a6fc9b5c078ef2cc9eacb41ab825d01.jpg

I have pothos growing out of the back, and I keep a little pouch of crushed coral in the filter. I do plan on adding more plants to make it nicer looking, but for now it's just a spoopy skull for decoration.

Bonus pic of the snails. I wanted to keep something I liked looking at, since it'd be a whole other tank for them, so that's why I chose pink.

PXL_20210321_182324564.PORTRAIT.jpg.b5e9885f042411387bf41a99b74f107d.jpg

Nice, my 10 has some flame orange snails in it that Im trying to get going......

I got one bladder snail on a plant, which multiplied.  I started up a ten gallon tank, which I have named "Overactive Bladder" just for them.  I feed them, they multiply to their hearts content.  It runs a sponge filter.  Just gravel substrate.  Some scroungy looking plants.  I like watching them.

• Like 1

Figure I'll post an update on what I've decided.

Ended up going with this aquarium from Walmart. A little bigger than a gallon so slightly more breathing room. The light on it is pretty weak and probably wouldn't support anything more demanding than anubias. I'm also keeping an eye on the filter and make sure no one is getting sucked in. 

Feeding algae wafers and frozen brine shrimp for now, and I'm doing an "in snail" cycle, so I will be monitoring the water closely. 

SnailTank.jpg

I have a ten gallon aquarium that I set up to maintain a back up supply of daphnia for my outdoor five gallon bucket cultures of daphnia. I added standard ramshorn  snails to the tank, because I had read somewhere that they help when added to daphnia cultures.  I started with a bare bottom tank and hard airline tubing with a trickle of air pump in. After some time the snail 🐌 waste started to accumulate and in attempt to reduce the frequency of water changes I switched to a sponge filter. This set up work well for both the daphnia and snails. I then decided to redo one of my Crystal shrimp tanks that was jam packed with Anubis barteri and subwassertang. I removed most of Anubis and all of the subwassertang. I now had an excess of plants and no place to put it, so I just floated in my snail/daphnia tank.

My daphnia seem to decrease, but the snail population exploded.

It’s  hard to see the snails in the picture,but trust me the population is booming.

5E99E565-A3C0-4ABE-81DE-56270A7B7677.jpeg

Edited by Dkshadowwolf
  • Like 1