Fish Photography - Tips, Tricks, and gear...?

FrozenFins

My phone camera hasn't been cutting it lately, especially when photographing my fish/ aquariums. I have started think about getting a camera for my fish tanks. As of lately I have shown interest in photography.

So I was wondering for all you photographer out there...

• What are your tips and tricks when photographing fish that never stop moving, or just small fish?
  • What kind of gear do you use? a macro lens on your phone? or a camera, what kind of camera?

I'm not a camera guy but I work with someone who does photography on the side and he is all about DSLR cameras. You can buy many interchangeable lenses to get the best image. 

The DSLR camera also allows you to mess with aperture and shutter speeds for fast moving fish 

• Like 1

this thread has a ton of tips, and I think there have been others, but I have actually used a tiny tank--like a 5 inch cube, that nothing should EVER live in long term, with a really bright light over it and black background/sand, to get super close ups of guppies under good light. Also, I have baited fish fry with baby brine to get them all to come forward, feeding in the same corner consistently...then when I put my hand above that corner, everyone comes up and stares up at my hand, waiting.

• Like 2

You may already know this, but the more light you have, the easier it is to get a clear picture of a moving object. I have a little LED spotlight that I put on the side of the tank when I’m taking pictures of my fry. I’m always worried I’m damaging their developing eyes 😄 but it’s very helpful for photos!

• Like 2