best way to move a tank

Lenabean

I have a 20 gallon planted community tank in my classroom and found out I'm switching classrooms(JOY!) I was planning on taking the fish themselves home for the summer anyway (plenty of room in existing tanks) So what should I know about moving this tank? Obviously it has to be drained. Any tricks, tips or thoughts? TIA

Lena

5 hours ago, Lenabean said:

I have a 20 gallon planted community tank in my classroom and found out I'm switching classrooms(JOY!) I was planning on taking the fish themselves home for the summer anyway (plenty of room in existing tanks) So what should I know about moving this tank? Obviously it has to be drained. Any tricks, tips or thoughts? TIA

Lena

A full 20 gal aquarium is a bit under 200 lbs. I’d pull out 85% of the water, and ask have two adults carry. The weight should be manageable. If the distance isn’t far, just walk it together. If far, walk to car with a long seat where seat is covered in towels. Be sure no hard / sharp objects gouge it (e.g. seatbelts, etc). I recommend placing near enough to a bathroom - if possible - that a python can easily reach for changing water. Lots of direct sunlight will affect your lighting plan... I prefer minimal sunlight to avoid algae blooms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1