Squirmy thing in aquarium

Bailey

Hello! I was just topping off the water in my tank and it disturbed some of the substrate, causing some gunk to float into the water. While I was fixing it, I noticed this white squirmy worm (?) type thing in the water. I saw one more small one on the glass, too. I have never seen these before and I'm not sure if this is something I need to be concerned about? It's a 5 gallon housing just one beta, but he is not currently in the tank as he's undergoing a salt treatment in a hospital tank. Is it safe to put him back at the end of his treatment with these wormy things? (Normally the water is much clearer but due to the disturbed substrate it's a little cloudy right now). 

ED3EA05D-1ED3-4FE6-8D1A-17742E72C338.jpeg

Ok, so I've seen about 8/9 more of these things since I posted this. Crawling on the glass, along the water line and even one hanging on to my floating plants. Is this something I should be concerned with? Id never seen them before I posted this originally, and now I see them everywhere. 

Detritus worms, nothing to be concerned about. They live down in the substrate and once in a while you will see them. A lot of fish will pick them off if they are able to see them. If you get an over abundance of them, you can gravel vac  to suck a lot of them out of the substrate, and cut back on your feeding. 

• Like 1