Ammonia Test Strips

Raychel

I have a question about the Aquarium Co-Op ammonia test strips that I am embarrassed to ask. I know it states in the directions that the test strip should be read immediately, but it seems the color will change after a few seconds of being out of the water. Should I consider the reading I have of .5 ppm right out of the water as correct, or the reading 5 seconds later of 1 ppm? Thanks in advance for any replies. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies! It does make sense that ammonia would be at 1 ppm. It is a new 10 gallon tank with 6 cherry barbs which I set up 2 weeks ago. I know this is not ideal but I have been monitoring the water quality with daily testing and a 25% water changes every other day. The ammonia level had previously been between .25 and .5 but now that there is more ammonia I may need to increase the frequency of water changes. 

Hi @Raychel, I am not sure if you saw any of the recent live streams but Cory mentioned he would recommend not feeding your fish in this situation to let your beneficial bacteria catch up to the ammonia. Also, if your ammonia is at 1 ppm, I would say do a 50% water change as you want to drop it below .5 ppm. Keep on testing your water daily and do a water change whenever it goes higher than .5 ppm. I hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

Also, if you are using Prime or another dechlorinator that “detoxifies” ammonia you can dose for the full tank volume (as opposed to just the water you are replacing), and it will help keep the fish safe for a little while. 

I don’t recommend using it instead of water changes when you are above .25 ppm, but it can help you space out your water changes a little, encourage growth of good bacteria, and keep the fish safe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I actually did see that livestream and had been feeding the fish sparingly until the ammonia went up to 1 ppm. At this point I have stopped feeding. I am also using Seachem Prime and Stability to try to cycle the tank a little more quickly.

I can't wait until my 29 gallon is cycled again! It's producing nitrates currently and there is a ramshorn snail happily munching algae even though the ammonia is pretty high in the tank right now (3 ppm previously 8 ppm) so fingers crossed the tank will be cycled soon.