Rams Spawned On Easy Planter

3 minutes ago, Lowells Fish Lab said:

They will raise the fry if I let them. They did a great job! These juveniles were raised by the parents for the first few weeks. The smaller ones in a breeder box were pulled as eggs and hatched separately. I just wanted to see how survival rates compared. (About equal)

Screenshot_20210422-060914.png

Screenshot_20210422-061119.png

Looking amazing! Well done! We've NEVER had Rms raise their own fry. Let many pairs try dozens of times each . . . always ended up having to pull in order to get fry.

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

Looking amazing! Well done! We've NEVER had Rms raise their own fry. Let many pairs try dozens of times each . . . always ended up having to pull in order to get fry.

I've heard that.. I read everything I could about why they might eat their fry and then arranged things as well as I could to prevent it. I watched closely and waited expecting them to eat the fry any day but they didn't. 

To try to prevent it I did a few things: spawned in a lengthwise 10 gallon blacked out on three sides and the bottom to help the parents feel safe, fed the adults heavily so that they would have no appetite left for fry, removed the female as soon as I saw her preparing to spawn again, and I never let the tank go completely dark.

I could be wrong but I feel strongly about the lighting. In my opinion, after a night in a pitch black tank they will literally forget who the other fish are and act aggressively towards each other.

I've also tried pair swapping by doing the opposite. Removed the female from a bonded pair and after a night in the dark added a new female. Zero aggression and they paired almost immediately. The dark is like hitting a reset button.

So I wonder then, if you hit the reset button with fry in the tank, could the parents forget whose fry they are and eat them like they would any other strange fry?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lowells Fish Lab said:

I've heard that.. I read everything I could about why they might eat their fry and then arranged things as well as I could to prevent it. I watched closely and waited expecting them to eat the fry any day but they didn't. 

To try to prevent it I did a few things: spawned in a lengthwise 10 gallon blacked out on three sides and the bottom to help the parents feel safe, fed the adults heavily so that they would have no appetite left for fry, removed the female as soon as I saw her preparing to spawn again, and I never let the tank go completely dark.

I could be wrong but I feel strongly about the lighting. In my opinion, after a night in a pitch black tank they will literally forget who the other fish are and act aggressively towards each other.

I've also tried pair swapping by doing the opposite. Removed the female from a bonded pair and after a night in the dark added a new female. Zero aggression and they paired almost immediately. The dark is like hitting a reset button.

So I wonder then, if you hit the reset button with fry in the tank, could the parents forget whose fry they are and eat them like they would any other strange fry?

Makes good sense! Thanks!! We've kept lights on for Angelfish before. Makes sense to try that with Rams. Blacking out sides is another pro tip. Appreciate it! We'll have to try Rams again. It's SO much easier when fish will raise their own fry. 

• 1 month later...