Lessoned Learned

Phoenixtx01

Tried to introduced 10 of 30 Cherry Barbs to my established 90 gallon community tank with 2 large angelfish, 20 black neons, 15 X-ray tetras, 10 peppered Cory Cats, and several BN plecos... 

My thought was with 10 they would school together and hold their own.  

What really happened was there weren’t enough of them and they scattered as soon as they hit the tank... I can only assume since I feed a lot of red food (Xterme Krill and Hikari Vibra Bites) and their size the Angels started going after them one at a time and even the larger tetras did as well...

The lesson is to only introduce bigger community fish and in larger schools as the Angels and the Tank are so big...

36914ABC-BB09-4DEE-BF71-B298BFD49351.jpeg

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Phoenixtx01 said:

Tried to introduced 10 of 30 Cherry Barbs to my established 90 gallon community tank with 2 large angelfish, 20 black neons, 15 X-ray tetras, 10 peppered Cory Cats, and several BN plecos... 

My thought was with 10 they would school together and hold their own.  

What really happened was there weren’t enough of them and they scattered as soon as they hit the tank... I can only assume since I feed a lot of red food (Xterme Krill and Hikari Vibra Bites) and their size the Angels started going after them one at a time and even the larger tetras did as well...

The lesson is to only introduce bigger community fish and in larger schools as the Angels and the Tank are so big...

36914ABC-BB09-4DEE-BF71-B298BFD49351.jpeg

Bummer! I watched my Threadfin Acaras eat through all of my Cardinals and Cherry Barbs one by one. They'd hit them in the morning when the smaller fish were still "woozy" from lights out. 

• Like 1

I’m sorry it didn’t work out.  From your description you have 20 cherry barbs that haven’t been put in the 90 gallon?  It’ll take some time to grow in (or be expensive buying that many) but if you’re open to it - more plants.  It’ll give the cherries somewhere to hide and may slow the angels down in their hunting.