45 Gallon Stocking Ideas

TimCNX

Hi,

I own 3 smaller 5 gallon tanks since 6 months and bought a fourth one just now - a 45 Gallon.

I binge watched a ton of informative vids in the last couple of months, but I'd like to have an opionion from you guys with way more experience regarding my stocking ideas.

1 Betta
3 Kuhli loaches
2 Hillstream loaches
6 Corys
8 Celestial Pearl danio
~30 Shrimp

A Feedback would be much appreciated (too many? Other problems?)

Greetings, Tim

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimCNX said:

Hi,

I own 3 smaller 5 gallon tanks since 6 months and bought a fourth one just now - a 45 Gallon.

I binge watched a ton of informative vids in the last couple of months, but I'd like to have an opionion from you guys with way more experience regarding my stocking ideas.

1 Betta
3 Kuhli loaches
2 Hillstream loaches
6 Corys
8 Celestial Pearl danio
~30 Shrimp

A Feedback would be much appreciated (too many? Other problems?)

Greetings, Tim

Welcome to the forum! It depends on the filtration and amount of plants in the tank. What kinds of filters do you have and how planted is the tank? Any pictures?

But generally, this seems like a good stocking for a 45 gallon. Everything you chose will work fine together, as they are all pretty peaceful. If you have good filtration and plants, I would do more midwater fish. Things like neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, white cloud mountain minnows, endler's livebearers... pretty much anything that will kind of fill up the middle/top section, as it will look pretty empty with only a betta and CPDs. Maybe also do a couple more kuhli loaches and Corydoras too just for good measure.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Wow, thanks a lot for the welcome, this already helps me out a lot!

I ordered the tank a while ago and got it just today, but I plan a heavily planted tank with co2. I've been saving a lot and bought as per recommendations from the shop, which was not that easy (I'm living in Thailand).

I have a canister filter from Atman which they also use for bigger tanks here, so I think/hope the filtration should be fine. Until now I only used hob filters for my other tanks.

I wasnt sure if adding more fish might be too much, but neon tetras were on the list. 🙂

Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimCNX said:

Wow, thanks a lot for the welcome, this already helps me out a lot!

I ordered the tank a while ago and got it just today, but I plan a heavily planted tank with co2. I've been saving a lot and bought as per recommendations from the shop, which was not that easy (I'm living in Thailand).

I have a canister filter from Atman which they also use for bigger tanks here, so I think/hope the filtration should be fine. Until now I only used hob filters for my other tanks.

I wasnt sure if adding more fish might be too much, but neon tetras were on the list. 🙂

Thanks a bunch!

Yeah that stocking plan is going to be perfectly fine then.

• Like 1