Pond Tub with Kids

KaitieG

I've been playing around with the idea of doing an outdoor pond tub and moving some livebearers or white clouds out there, but the thing that's holding me back is having a three year old.  Has anyone done these outdoor containers with little kids?  What kinds of safety measures did you figure out? 

My first idea was to use an extra 300 gallon stock tanks that's sitting around at the farm.  Then I quickly decided that would be a TERRIBLE choice given the human fry around here! 🙂  Maybe I'll snag it when they can all swim in a couple years.  The older two swim like...well...fish.  Other sizes/shallow options that would be safer?

So, yeah, having friends who had pools, and having raised my kids while living on a boat, fencing is a good idea with toddlers. I am the parent of several genuinely gifted climbers, so raising the side actually almost scares me more. Teaching them to swim asap is the BEST,  and then having step out ladders or rock piles so that they can escape is important. Kid-sized ones. Also telling them to yell like mad if someone falls in. We used to do drills into the ocean off the back of the boat to practice climbing out over and over. We even did it in cold weather so that they were prepared for the shock. 

No one ever did fall in. The adults were the irresponsible ones. But until you get to the point they can swim, I would stick to a shallow pond they can wade in and out of--like a kiddie pool.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

I agree with teaching them to swim asap. Going through that now with mine and teaching them how to handle themselves and be comfortable in the water is so valuable.

Also I've employed chicken wire pond coverings before and if it's secured well it can also be a deterrent.

My parents have a pool, so she's been in the water, and the older two know how to swim, but I wouldn't trust the 3 year old alone--she still sinks!  If I try anything this year, I think it'll be shallow, and if she's swimming by the end of the summer, I'll know I can plan bigger for next year...with the escape routes @Brandy described.

Yeah we used to have stock tanks when I was a kid and one year kestrels nested in a tree by the barn, and I was excited, watching them all summer  One day I found a drowned fledgling, and it was heartbreaking. He miscalculated and then couldn't get up the sheer side.

• Sad 1