Outdoor Pond Temperature Swings

mineralNTL

So I'm working on my first mini outdoor pond setup this year and I've been going thru a lot of the old AC videos on pond setups.

Based on my location in the world, the angle of the sun, and the limitations for where I can have the pond placed, I have real issues with daily temperature swings - somewhere around 20F swings between night and day at the moment with what I assume will be even worse swings come mid-summer. Obviously I'll need to come up with some shade coverings and/or some kind of container insulation (and yes, I'm aware a really easy solution would be to stick the pond in the ground but that's not an option where I live), but what I'm wondering is: what do we feel are "acceptable" daily water temperature swings in order to prevent livestock harm?

Tl;dr - My pond's daily water temp swings are roughly 20F - so ignoring the how I lessen these fluctuations, what would be an acceptable goal for temp swings? 10F? 5F?

To some extent the speed of the swing probably matters more than the extent of the swing. A twenty degree swing over 24 hours isn't so bad. A twenty degree swing in an hour is not good. I'd try to focus on fish more from small streams/ponds than those from the deep waters of the Amazon. Smaller streams and ponds are more prone to major temperature fluctuations than larger bodies of water. 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:03 AM, gardenman said:

To some extent the speed of the swing probably matters more than the extent of the swing. A twenty degree swing over 24 hours isn't so bad. A twenty degree swing in an hour is not good. I'd try to focus on fish more from small streams/ponds than those from the deep waters of the Amazon. Smaller streams and ponds are more prone to major temperature fluctuations than larger bodies of water. 

I didn't even consider that - excellent point on stream fish being more amenable to these sorts of conditions. I'll keep that in mind as I search for suitable livestock.