Pleco broken fin - will it repair itself?

Steven Fletcher

So I got 2 small bristlenose plecos a couple months ago. This one appears to have a broken fin (hopefully you can see it in the images). I believe this is the one that decided to rocket itself out of the net onto the floor, where I had to quickly scoop it up and put in the tank. I noticed right away one had this damaged fin but wasn't for sure if it was the one that was dropped. Anyway, after a month in quarantine, and another month in this tank, it still appears to be broken. It doesn't seem to hinder it any; it swims around perfectly fine, sucks the glass, and eats the food. I was just wondering if it will eventually fix itself or if it will stay this way?

Thanks in advance!

20200908_101242.jpg

20200908_101132.jpg

20200908_101150.jpg

10 minutes ago, Liz hughes said:

Yes I think it will help! I had a angel missing a tail and it’s huge! I did water changes and made sure to add anything I could to keep away infection and it worked! Good luck keep us posted 

Awesome! Thanks for your advice! I think my pleco will come around, he doesn't even act like his fin is broken

I've had some pretty big plecos suffer some much worse damage either from fighting or on the rare occasion they decide to see what's outside the tank. 

With just clean water and extra quality foods they healed up really quickly. I'm sure your lil guy will heal up np. If he loses the fin past the break, don't worry. That's what I see most often before the lost portion begins growing back.

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I've had some pretty big plecos suffer some much worse damage either from fighting or on the rare occasion they decide to see what's outside the tank. 

With just clean water and extra quality foods they healed up really quickly. I'm sure your lil guy will heal up np. If he loses the fin past the break, don't worry. That's what I see most often before the lost portion begins growing back.

That's great to hear. Thanks for your input!