Muscle Rack Fishroom

Ninebreaker

Hi all, I have a question regarding building tank stands with muscle racks. 

Firstly, this is the muscle rack I am using: 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Black-3-Tier-Heavy-Duty-Industrial-Welded-Steel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-65-in-W-x-54-in-H-x-24-in-D-HBR652454W3/310651476

Given the space constraints of the fish room, this was basically the tallest and deepest I could get without a tank hitting the ceiling.   

The problem I am running into is that while it's super strong and I have leveled the shelves, obviously I needed some support over the shelves since my tanks are slightly shorter than the shelves themselves.  Also, the shelves are not actually 65 x 24, but actually 60 x 24. 

I had home depot cut some 3/4" plywood sheets for me to size (60x24), which I painted black and put over the wire racks to help distribute the weight. The shelves fit perfectly. 

The problem is when I put a 40B or even a 10G on top of the sheet it really varies as to how the tank sits due to some warping of the plywood itself (I assume due to humidity, etc.). In some areas, the empty tank is off about 1/8" of an inch.  Obviously, I have concerns and don't want to start filling with water until I get some more advice. Does anyone else use this kind of stand? Would the plywood "level out" once I put pressure on it from water-filled tanks? 

So, do I just fill the tanks and see if they level out or am I missing something to making these stands "work".  Thanks! 

So, just clarify: are you more concerned with weight distribution? Or with the water line being level?

_ALL_ of our tanks are unlevel by about 1/8 inch because the ground is simply not level in our home. Take a laser level to your floor... very few places are really level. Now, if all your bubble levels on the rack look perfect, but the plywood board (that you painted) seems off, that’s another issue. Maybe you could shim a bit if it bothers you. I’m not sure weight will necessarily level that over time or not.

As for weight, those racks are pretty sturdy. I doubt they’d fail.

5 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

So, just clarify: are you more concerned with weight distribution? Or with the water line being level?

_ALL_ of our tanks are unlevel by about 1/8 inch because the ground is simply not level in our home. Take a laser level to your floor... very few places are really level. Now, if all your bubble levels on the rack look perfect, but the plywood board (that you painted) seems off, that’s another issue. Maybe you could shim a bit if it bothers you. I’m not sure weight will necessarily level that over time or not.

As for weight, those racks are pretty sturdy. I doubt they’d fail.

The plywood itself seems off. 

The bubble levels on the rack look perfect, but there's gapping under corners (think like a 3 legged chair situation) of the tank depending on where you place the tank. 

I'm not bothered by slanting to one side or another.  These stands will notoriously "twist" and I've leveled the racks themselves as best I could. 

• Like 1