Moneywort Advice

I got my Aquarium Co-Op plant shipment yesterday. I have a question about what would be the best way to plant my new Brazilian Moneywort? It seems to have little root balls all up an down the stem. I just planted them (2 plants) as best I could with the roots on the bottom that came out of the pot. It’s really sort of a mess of stems (runners?) with lots of root balls. 

Should I cut each stem just below the roots and re-plant it or what? 🤷🏼‍♂️

F8658633-C99B-45DE-BB90-906FCF5AE9F7.jpeg

CA568E69-B4D2-440A-83CD-7D873E67D7EF.jpeg

The stems that are connecting to each leaf is a runner and you can snip the runners if you’d like. I usually like planting with 3-4 leaves still connected with each other just to make it easier to hold on to the substrate when planting.

I just bunch the plants together so that the roots are all pretty level with each other and plant. Having tweezers is really helpful for this type of plant.

Here is one of my runner type plants and I basically bury the whole thing under the substrate with the leaves barely peaking out.

rannunculus.jpg.405069c830dd69904b171aa9888c5cbf.jpg

I have some maintenance on my tank to do today so I can post some pictures later if what I’m saying doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

So I like to break my plants up in portions to plant. I like to do about 3, you can definitely do more, but just because of the leaf form of my plant If I do more for mine its gets overcrowded real fast and the buttercup isn't as prominent. But with the moneywort you can probably get away with bunching more together.

You can definitely cut each runner if that makes it easier to make a nice little clump to plant in. I'm extremely lazy so I just leave them connected.

IMG_1433.jpeg.4ecc09afa9d27f1a2c6f4baf4d7c9c5e.jpeg

Especially in this case since the plant is already growing horizontally, it was rather easy to to bunch it up neatly so that the runners won't peak above the substrate.

IMG_1434.jpeg.805e7cb946585be5b312a34ad9e32aef.jpeg

Edited by Koi
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

I got my Aquarium Co-Op plant shipment yesterday. I have a question about what would be the best way to plant my new Brazilian Moneywort? It seems to have little root balls all up an down the stem. I just planted them (2 plants) as best I could with the roots on the bottom that came out of the pot. It’s really sort of a mess of stems (runners?) with lots of root balls. 

Should I cut each stem just below the roots and re-plant it or what? 🤷🏼‍♂️

F8658633-C99B-45DE-BB90-906FCF5AE9F7.jpeg

CA568E69-B4D2-440A-83CD-7D873E67D7EF.jpeg

I think that's Brazilian Pennywort

image.png.7174e68dabdde5b3da95b80aac3cb68d.png

1 hour ago, Mmiller2001 said:

I think that's Brazilian Pennywort. 

Whatever denomination it is 😄 , I pulled it up today did some trimming and replanting and I think it should be okay. There was a lot of melt in just  the two days since planting. I’ve already lost a Water Sprite that never recovered so fingers crossed. 

image.png