Pics of your black neon tetra tanks?

I don't have any pictures handy, and can't take one now because the sun is shining in through the door glass onto the tank, so the reflection would be ridiculous, but they're one of my favorite fish.  I have around 15 of them in a 65 gallon tank, along with a single koi angelfish, a pair of super red bristlenose plecos, and schools of panda corys, Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, and lemon tetras.

I really like the way their colors complement those of the rainbows and lemon tetras.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 6:46 PM, JettsPapa said:

I don't have any pictures handy, and can't take one now because the sun is shining in through the door glass onto the tank, so the reflection would be ridiculous, but they're one of my favorite fish.  I have around 15 of them in a 65 gallon tank, along with a single koi angelfish, a pair of super red bristlenose plecos, and schools of panda corys, Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, and lemon tetras.

I really like the way their colors complement those of the rainbows and lemon tetras.

Man I know I was going to do cardinals but stumbled upon black neons and was like why doesn't anyone talk about these they are beautiful and super hardy from what I understand.

• Like 1

Wow! So pretty, never even heard of them. I used to work in an animal shelter. Black cats and dogs were always the last to be adopted because they're common and didn't stand out. I feel like fish are similar, these seem to have a lot of silver- which I love. They're not flashy like Bettas for example- but I bet they are killer in a group.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify!

43 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Wow! So pretty, never even heard of them. I used to work in an animal shelter. Black cats and dogs were always the last to be adopted because they're common and didn't stand out. I feel like fish are similar, these seem to have a lot of silver- which I love. They're not flashy like Bettas for example- but I bet they are killer in a group.

Well I guess you will find out when I have 30 in my tank in a few weeks.

16 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

In my opinion they're misnamed.  The dark band at the bottom is very dark blue instead of black, and the upper band is a sky blue that's fluorescent when the light hits it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@JettsPapa oh I agree, I see a whole lot of color in the pics I found on the net BUT they are dark colors. Not as flashy as a brightly colored fish. I feel like those kinds of fish get more attention in the aquarium trade at times.

Yea it's unfortunate cuz they are great fish I almost wanna collect all the fish most people over look just to show how nice they can be.

I have had a single one (kind of a rescue tank) together with cardinals. Maybe it's because it was alone, but I noticed that he doesn't sleep like the cardinal and ember tetras. Whenever I have checked in on the tank I found it swimming calmly mid water. 

Really nice fish, I think. The cardinals look a little vulgar or tacky in comparison, haha!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, darkG said:

I have had a single one (kind of a rescue tank) together with cardinals. Maybe it's because it was alone, but I noticed that he doesn't sleep like the cardinal and ember tetras. Whenever I have checked in on the tank I found it swimming calmly mid water. 

Really nice fish, I think. The cardinals look a little vulgar or tacky in comparison, haha!

Right like there is beauty in the simplistically of there colors instead of super flashy bright colors. We will call it fish elegance and maturity lmfao

• Like 2

So I just got back from my lfs to talk to them about my Oto baby explosion and thought I'd do research for my 2nd tank that's running. I had these in mind, wanted to see them in person as they are always better that way. I am in LOVE with these lil fish!! If they fit my parameters I'll totally be getting a group. They move fast so....

Resized_20210330_123949.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to apologize for my action shot
  • Like 1