Any ideas what these surprises are in my tank?

mgudyka

Hi all,

Any idea what these two things are? I am surprised to see a teeny sprout in my substrate. What on ear earth could this even be? Since a surprise sprout came up, does that mean it appears that my tank is doing a good job supporting plant life? 

The second item in question appears to be a creature. Perhaps a snail? I got plants from three different places in rapid succession so I have no idea who it came from. If yes snails, do I keep or eradicate?

Thanks friends!

20210315_181915.jpg

20210315_181447.jpg

20210315_181534.jpg

7 minutes ago, darkG said:

Snails or not is a matter of preference 👍 if you maybe don't love them, try to get rid of them asap. It can become somewhat impossible soon. 🤪

Cool sprouting seed! 

Good advice. I will start removing them as I see them. I have only noticed one though. Hopefully it stays that way. 

Thanks! I found a second new sprout in my smaller tank! I was worried I was creating a hospitable environment but I must be with new seedlings!

I have both bladder snails and ramshorn snails (the small pest variety that is). It's ok... but then I go for a natural look and feel. If I get way too many, it will be a sign that I am overfeeding, so that'll maybe keep me in check, lol. 

By the way. The post of yours with a picture of your tank was retracted, but I wanted to comment that it is probably wise not to put anything very near the edges - it may look a bit off but also you'll want to be able to reach the glass for cleaning! 

42 minutes ago, darkG said:

I have both bladder snails and ramshorn snails (the small pest variety that is). It's ok... but then I go for a natural look and feel. If I get way too many, it will be a sign that I am overfeeding, so that'll maybe keep me in check, lol. 

By the way. The post of yours with a picture of your tank was retracted, but I wanted to comment that it is probably wise not to put anything very near the edges - it may look a bit off but also you'll want to be able to reach the glass for cleaning! 

Oh people can see that post I tried to hide? The plants have been there for a week. Am I going to frick them up by trying to move them over? Do I have enough cover for a gourami to feel secure or should I get more driftwood and stuff?

No it's gone, but it was up temporarily. Some plants reportedly dislike being moved, but I think (I'm really not knowledgeable) yours are not established and many plants don't mind it much anyway. I know even less about gourami cover. 😎

53 minutes ago, darkG said:

No it's gone, but it was up temporarily. Some plants reportedly dislike being moved, but I think (I'm really not knowledgeable) yours are not established and many plants don't mind it much anyway. I know even less about gourami cover. 😎

Well to be safe I'm just going to head to my LFS and pick up some more. I think they like blackwater anyway so the more tanins the better. I appreciate your help !