My Snails Are Not Right

I replaced my substrate with all purpose sand. I rinsed it really well and still my fish tank was extremely cloudy for 24hrs. Ever since then though my snails have been quite lethargic. They have this weird white stuff hanging from them. Now I don’t know if this is normal poop that’s binding with the sand so it looks weird. Or there’s something else going on. I did test my water today and my PH was too high. I did a small dose of PH down so as to not shock my critters and added Indian almond leaves to handle the rest. Should I be worried or do I just need to give it time?

56E35C34-9FC2-48F6-BC9A-AC885D5DB3E4.jpeg

B0746ED2-23A3-4CE0-8EC2-04F316A2A494.jpeg

I would give it time. That appears to be normal poop to me. Snails have a sort of weird hibernation phase (not sure what to call it) where once every couple of weeks they hit a lethargic spell that lasts for a couple of days and then they go right back to doing there thing. Continue to monitor him though, and if after a few days he doesn't come out of it let us know. 

12 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

I would give it time. That appears to be normal poop to me. Snails have a sort of weird hibernation phase (not sure what to call it) where once every couple of weeks they hit a lethargic spell that lasts for a couple of days and then they go right back to doing there thing. Continue to monitor him though, and if after a few days he doesn't come out of it let us know. 

Ok. Thank you. 

Well I noticed worms crawling on the glass. So I dosed Ich-x. The next day my Betta's poop looked just like the snail's. My golden snail perked right up after the dose of Ich-x. My blue snail is not completely closed up but is also not out and active and I don't see movement. =/

Edited by MeggersNCat

55 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

Yeah just give it time. Replacing substrate is a big change, but snails are pretty tough. They'll probably stay closed up for a couple days, then get back to business.

Well I noticed worms crawling on the glass. So I dosed Ich-x. The next day my Betta's poop looked just like the snail's. My golden snail perked right up after the dose of Ich-x. My blue snail is not completely closed up but is also not out and active and I don't see movement. =/

I wouldn’t worry about worms on the glass. They’re probably harmless. (If you see a worm attached to a fish, that’s a different story!) Several people on here have tanks full of good worms that munch on mulm or bacteria and end up as tasty snacks for the fish. If you’re able to get pictures of the worms, we can help reassure you. 😊

ETA: Oh are those them in the first picture?

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

I wouldn’t worry about worms on the glass. They’re probably harmless. (If you see a worm attached to a fish, that’s a different story!) Several people on here have tanks full of good worms that munch on mulm or bacteria and end up as tasty snacks for the fish. If you’re able to get pictures of the worms, we can help reassure you. 😊

ETA: Oh are those them in the first picture?

Yup! The first picture!