Failed Scarlet Temple and Crinum

On two occasions I have tried my luck on Scarlet Temple. The first try with dechlorinated city water. It was a failure. Everything melted and never came back. After moving to a home with well water I attempted and again failed. Crinum failed with well water as well. Please give me some advice. I have well water and other plants thrive. Jungle Val, All kinds of crypts, dwarf sag, Bacopa C, pogostemon octo to name most. The temp is between 75-78 and the ph is 7.5-7.8. I use two Fluval plant nano lights in a 40 breeder at 40% strength on planted mode. No co2. Two sponge filters.

Hey @JeffYouBetcha are you using any kind of fertilizers and can you post your water parameters? How long was the crinum in your tank before you considered it dead? Crinums grow pretty dang slow for me, everytime I move em it loses alot of its leaves. It takes me a few months for that plant to like me again and has gone a month without having any leaves too.

• Like 1

I've found that my crinum and scarlet temple grow much better in softer water with like a neutral or lower ph. That might be the problem. Crinum likes higher flow so try putting a hang on back or an extra airstone near the crinum. Try increasing the light levels to 60% for the scarlet temple, it is a red plant and like higher light, also, try adding some iron for the scarlet temple. Crinum is a heavy root feeder so try root tabs. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 9:53 PM, Yanni said:

I've found that my crinum and scarlet temple grow much better in softer water with like a neutral or lower ph. That might be the problem. Crinum likes higher flow so try putting a hang on back or an extra airstone near the crinum. Try increasing the light levels to 60% for the scarlet temple, it is a red plant and like higher light, also, try adding some iron for the scarlet temple. Crinum is a heavy root feeder so try root tabs. 

Thanks, that might explain it for me too. I had Scarlet Temples fail for my water, same as OP. I am on well water which is VERY hard water. All of my other plants (Val, Red Melon, Amazon Sword, Dwarf chain sword, Water Lettuce and assorted Crypts) were able to establish with minimal melt.

All were added at the same time, but the Scarlet Temple put on a two month battle before I finally laid it to rest. It would slowly rot and/or have algae grow on it. I have since modified the lighting to a siesta method (which helped get rid of my hair algae), and I'm tempted to try it again, but if it's a soft water plant I won't do it. 

Hopefully that helps, OP.