Water wisteria rotting?

Hey @Juan colin a few things come to my mind as to what could be the issue, and I wanted to run some questions by you to see if we can narrow down the cause.

Are you using fertilizers and can you give tank parameters?

can you give a picture of the whole plant?

It looks like you have some kind of sand which I don't think is a problem but could be a factor at it doesn't look like you have plant weights on it but let me know if thats the case. I'm thinking you either damaged the stem while planting or there is a lack of nutrients.

You said there was a possibility that you might have damaged the plant during propagation which could explain the rotting stems. The first thing to address at this point is to take out the plant and cut off all the mush, if possible, try to cut one or two nodes above the rotting stem. I actually like to feel stems and cut it where its the most rigid that way you have a pretty strong base to plant into the substrate but the method entirely up to you.

• Like 1

I can see some newish growth and it looks like there are some roots forming at the stem so your plant still can pull through. Without fully knowing how much you are dosing on the flourish, I would say you should up the dose if you are only doing whats recommended on the bottle. So maybe 1.5x or double the recommended. 

You mentioned your water wisteria was growing really well when you first added it to your tank and up until recently it has been dying back. I'm guessing this whole time you never changed your dosing and as plants get bigger their nutrient requirement follows suit. It could be something else but usually if a plant grows big and then later starts slowly dying off my first suspect is lack of nutrients. When there are no available nutrients in the water, the plant begins to consume its older leaves in attempt to create new ones.

Later if you plan on getting a test kit and you are still having issues, come back with the water parameters and maybe we can try to solve the issue. But for now I would say adding more fertilizer into your weekly routine would be a good start. Give the plant some time and keep an eye out for new growth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juan colin said:

I use seachem flourish as a fertilizer and i don’t  have a water test kit i need to go buy one

I'd suggest trying a different fertilizer.  I don't want to bad-mouth a product, but if you'll compare the percentages of Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash in Seachem Flourish with those in Easy Green I think you'll understand why.

Water wisteria is one of my favorite plants, and yours should definitely be looking better than that.  I have some reaching almost to the top of my 65 gallon tank, with leaves all along the stems.  (I use Easy Green twice per week, and I have cheap lights on the tank.)  I'm on my desktop now, but I'll try to remember to take a picture and post it later.

• Like 1