Quarantine tank setup

stephk

I recently purchased a 10 gallon tank to be used as my quarantine tank.  I will soon be setting up my 20 gallon display tank.  I am a little confused as to the best way to utilize the quartentine tank.  As far as the tank goes I am planing on no substrate, I have a small HOB filter for it, heater and a few fake decorations and some PVC tubes for fish to hide in.  I suppose I would need to cycle this quarantine tank before adding in any fish to be quarantined?  If so what is the best way to cycle small quarantine tank without live plants? Do I always just have this tank up and running in case I purchase new fish and/or have to get sick fish out of display tank?  Also, I don't need to empty out and disinfect tank after quarantining new fish if they did okay?  Oh, and does everyone automatically give trio meds to all new fish once placed in quarantine tank?

Thanks!

Yes a quarantine tank will need to be cycled. However, if the 20g is a new tank, IT can initially be a pseudo quarantine tank. I recommend plastic bin(s) as quarantine and emergency hospital tanks. I have articles on this and Irene of AC has a very good video on this.

I know that Cory always does the trio, but that's a business thing. I don't do drugs unless I identify a disease and treat specifically for it.

I empty quarintine tanks after every quarintine. I will keep my quarintine filter in one of my pre-cycled tanks to keep the benefiical bacteria on the filter alive. Once you add the filter that has been runing in one of your cycled tanks to your quarintine tank it will be cycled enough for fish.

You do not need to disenfet anything. If you drain the tank fully, any parasite or disease will die.

If you decide to keep it full of water all you need is  a source of amonia in your tank to keep it cycled. This could be you putting fish food everyday or so. If you do this you can just leave it as it is with no fish. Any parasite will die without a host.

• Like 1