Betta Anal Prolapse

TArmentrout

Hi, all...  We have a great betta fish, in a tank with excellent parameters...  We rescued him and he's recovering from mild fin rot and constipation...and, now, has what appears to be an anal prolapse. The protrusion has grown to about 1/4 of an inch... I'm fasting him (did provide some frozen daphia), keeping water clean, and warm...  He's a little less active, but still swimming and responds to us.  But, I worry he's suffering and don't know what to do now for him.  What are his chances for recovery?   Thanks for any insights you can share.

I think his chances are pretty good. I had 2 fish recover from prolapses. (Not a betta, though.) I did a few things which may or may not have led to recovery:

1) I fasted the fish.

2) I gave 4 baths per day with epsom salt. 15 minutes per bath.

3) I kept the main tank water as clean as possible, and just tried to minimize stress. (Less lighting, etc.)

In both cases, the prolape was reabsorbed into the body. If I remember correctly, one took 5-6 days, and the other 2 days.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone for your responses...much appreciated!   We're keeping the water very clean, and with calm lighting.  I'll completely fast him now, per the recommendation -- just gave him a few daphnia; it's been four days without any other food (pellet).

Water parameters are:

pH:  7.6

Ammonia:  0

Nitrite:  0

Nitrate:  Between 0-5.0 

Please see attached for a picture... 

Again, thanks very much!

Betta Fish w Prolapse.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 4:15 AM, Tathagata Mondal said:

Did the betta recover from prolapse? My betta is also having the same problem, not eating for last 6 days.764970416_Screenshot_20211207-2210462.png.6b719482f506aa05c84fdd520d3d25ad.png

I would treat Epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes 2-3 times a day  as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxants it will  help the fish to reabsorb the prolapse