Mystery Snail Not Doing Well

Kirsten

One of my two smaller adult mystery snails was found upside down at the bottom of the tank this morning with ramshorns crawling on her, moving slightly but not making a strong effort to right herself. Not a good sign. I tried dropping a sinking wafer near her, which the platies and other mystery snails raced towards, no response from her. So I did an emergency rescue and put her in my new, fully cycled aquarium all by herself with a whole big algae wafer and this has been the last 30 minutes:PXL_20210222_145455680.jpg.b93aa51005adf8af770442630c459b38.jpg

Not looking good, Jim.

Only thing I can think of is that I did about a 30% water change on Saturday, added Easy Green, more crushed coral and a half dose of equilibrium to supplement my soft, soft water. Also dosed the tank with Prazipro on Sunday to help combat some stubborn gill flukes in my livebearers (it's Monday today, if you're reading this far in the future).

Both tanks are holding steady at 78F, pH of about 7.4, ammonia & nitrites at 0, nitrates at 10-20ppm, GH at about 100ppm, KH at about 20ppm (yes, even after equilibrium and coral, it's crazy, but I don't seem to get pH swings, either, so whatcha gonna do).

Any tips or ideas what could be wrong?

Edited by Kirsten

How old is she? I do know they sometimes can go dormant for a while at times; I had one go to sleep for a few days once. I think my only advice I can give is to keep the water quality excellent and check on her responsiveness daily. 

Edit: Also Prazipro should be snail safe, I've used it over the years without issue.

Edited by H.K.Luterman

10 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

How old is she? I do know they sometimes can go dormant for a while at times; I had one go to sleep for a few days once. I think my only advice I can give is to keep the water quality excellent and check on her responsiveness daily. 

Edit: Also Prazipro should be snail safe, I've used it over the years without issue.

Thanks! I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that's the case. She was about nickel-sized when I got her in early December, so I'm guessing she's about 6 months old.

• Like 1