Rate my Red Sword's health

EDIT: I'm not 100% if this is a Red Flame or Red Melon. I got it at my LHS and forget which one it is.

I've had this Red Sword since the start of my tank in October 2020, just 4 months ago. Originally I put down about 1-1.5" of sand, scattered a bunch of osmocote plus around, then another 1-1.5" of sand.

It's hard to see from the photo but right in the very center a new red leaf started to grow about 2 weeks ago. So it seems healthy to me.

I haven't added any root tabs and it has been crossing my mind lately. Starting a month ago I've been adding a squirt of easy iron once a week.

Overall, what are your impressions from the photo? Sounds like I'm on the right path or do I need to add some root tabs.

20210218_171553.jpg

Edited by outspoken
  • Like 1

My thought process is most (or at least some) people wait until they have a problem and then do something.  Like water changes or own salt or medicine or test kit.  I try to be proactive.  But also when it comes to my fish tanks when things are balanced, I make changes slowly.  So I guess what I am saying....   at least order the EZ Tabs.   And maybe add just one near the plant.    Wait and see.  In a month maybe add another.   Just a thought and thanks for sharing your tank.

good luck 

• Like 2

• Administrators

That looks like red flame sword to me 🙂 I gotta agree with Brian, I don't think it would hurt to have root tabs on hand. My guess is the sword is fairly happy now anyways since you've added a bunch of osmocote. In theory, you probably wouldn't need root tabs for some time. If it's growing new leaves, I'd just leave it alone and see what it does. It appears pretty healthy. If growth slows or stops, then try adding root tabs.

Only thing I noticed was you buried the plant fairly deep. Normally I'd recommend planting above the crown (base of plant, where roots meet stems). Especially in sand substrate which can become more compact over time as the tank matures. Just something to consider if you notice the plant suffering at all.

7 minutes ago, Lizzie Block said:

Only thing I noticed was you buried the plant fairly deep. Normally I'd recommend planting above the crown (base of plant, where roots meet stems). Especially in sand substrate which can become more compact over time as the tank matures. Just something to consider if you notice the plant suffering at all.

Thanks, I was also wondering about that. My Jave Fern is also planted at an equal depth on the other side of the tank and was thinking of bringing that up a bit as well.

• Like 1

I am not a plant guy.... 
But I believe the Java fern will do best sitting on the substrate.    That’s to say over time it will die off if the rhizome (the thick part of the roots) are buried.   You can tie or rubber band them to anything.   Wood, rocks.  Or order some glue from Co-Op and glue them.   
Good Luck 

3 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would agree with @Lizzie Block that it is a red flame sword. I have a large one in my one tank that looks just like that. They definitely love root tabs! I put two under mine every two weeks or I will start to see signs of nutrient deficiencies, such as yellowing of leaves, spotting etc. 

I'm going to try making my own tabs since I have a massive amount of osmocote still. I'm gonna try a few experiments on attaching the osmocote together DIY style to appear like their "tabs" which are basically a bunch of osmocote balls stuck together.

Just now, outspoken said:

I'm going to try making my own tabs since I have a massive amount of osmocote still. I'm gonna try a few experiments on attaching the osmocote together DIY style to appear like their "tabs" which are basically a bunch of osmocote balls stuck together.

with using osmocote, you just want to make sure that it stays buried in substrate, as if it gets in the water column, it can cause ammonia spikes.  I have never used osmocote myself, have just heard horror stories from others who have.