Staghorn Algae in Shrimp Tank

Hey guys, I have an outbreak of Staghorn Algae in my 29g shrimp tank. It’s mostly on the driftwood and Java moss that’s on the driftwood. There’s a little on the Vallisneria. Ph is 6.8. Nitrates 20 PPM. No nitrites no ammonia. I don’t dose CO2 and there’s pretty good flow.  I have an Aquaclear 70 on there for now. I dose Fluval Gro+ fertilizer once a week at 2.5 ml. I’ve tried dosing H2O2 at 1.5 ml per gallon. It hasn’t had any effect. I’ve tried Seachem excel and did not like the effect it had on the Shrimp, Val, or mosses. Would I be able to drain the tank down to spot treat with hydrogen peroxide without killing my shrimps with the peroxide or subsequent water change? Should I spot treat with the water in? Or should I continue the H2O2 fogging method? 

Ive found that H2O2 fogging method does not work. You need straight contact with 3% hydrogen peroxide. To achieve this there are 2 methods. #1) remove affected plants or decoration and submerge in a container of 3% hydrogen peroxide for no more than 5 minutes with thick slow growing plants like anubias, or java fern. No more than 3 minutes with softer leaf slow growing plants like your java moss, and no more than 1 minute on soft leaf fast growing plant like bacopa or vallisneria. IMPORTANT, do not submerge the roots. Only submerge the leaves affected with algae. #2) if removal of plant is not possible, turn off filters, air pumps, or power heads, (anything that moves water). Perform a routine water change, before adding new water while the tank water level is low directly apply 3% H2O2 to the algae with a pipette. Let it sit and fizzle like it does for no more than 5 minutes. Refill water and restore water flow. I recommend doing both methods in the morning as light breaks down hydrogen peroxide into H2O after treatment is complete, making it safe for fish and invertebrates. Lastly, as a disclaimer of sorts, dont use an obscene amount of hydrogen peroxide. It does take a crazy amount to overdose but it can affect you beneficial bacteria if you do. If you think you used to much, check ammonia and nitrite levels to be sure your nitrifying bacteria are still good. In the few instances that a bacteria crash occurred it was due to massive amounts of H2O2 at levels common sense would dictate to question, or someone was already involved in a bacteria crash from other sources, and only exacerbated the inevitable issue with H2O2. Under normal circumstances, it degrades into pure water. 

• Like 1

Yeah I was afraid of that. I want to drain the water so I can spray hydrogen peroxide right onto the affected area but that would mean draining about 20 gallons of the 29 gallon tank. I’m pretty sure a water change that significant would decimate my shrimp colony. I’ll keep applying with a pipette under water and maybe I’ll hold off the algae long enough to get the tank balanced. 🤷‍♂️