New tank set up

Rhonda

I got my new acrylic tank!! I have my driftwood and plants in my current tank to hopefully move some bacteria over.  I was wondering if I should soak some of my substrate in the tank (in a mesh bag) too?  How about the rocks I plan to add?     

@Rhonda moving plants over will help kick start the system. If your tank has a sponge filter or maybe a sponge in a hob filter, just get some mulmy water off that as if you were cleaning it and add that water to the tank. But honestly moving some plants will be enough. Just be patient with adding livestock and don’t overload the system prematurely. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, FrostiesFishes said:

@Rhonda moving plants over will help kick start the system. If your tank has a sponge filter or maybe a sponge in a hob filter, just get some mulmy water off that as if you were cleaning it and add that water to the tank. But honestly moving some plants will be enough. Just be patient with adding livestock and don’t overload the system prematurely. 

Good to know. I have a canister filter now and my new tank has the filter built in.  I could move the ceramic pieces and bio balls over to start it off.  You’ve given me some good ideas- thanks!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dawn T said:

If you've got a good filter going already, moving it and/or some portion of the media in it would work nicely to help with cycling the new tank.

Thanks Dawn! I can’t move the filter over, but I can use the media- good plan!

• Like 1