Questions about Prime

BigRedd

So I just got some Prime and my impression is that I should only use it if there's an ammonia spike due to overfeeding / random death in a planted tank that I can't see. I should also add this to new water I'm adding to dechlorinate it too.

Is this right? I'm still trying to balance the food / fish ratio in a 75 gallon aquarium, and sometimes I overfeed to where the ammonia is at .25-.5 ppm. It's not much but it's still there.

Also any tips on feeding? I don't have many fish, but I have a good amount of bottom feeders. My main goal is to make sure there's still a little bit of food on the bottom of the tank so that the bottom feeders don't starve.

Edit: Also, 1 more quick question, if I use Prime, will I still be able to detect the ammonia? Or will it go away for a little while until it's eaten?

Edited by BigRedd

Yes Prime (and Safe, <the dry version>) is an excellent dechlorinator. It will neutralize ammonia by converting it to relatively harmless ammonium - that the bio-filter will take care of.

As for feeding Are you Overfeeding Your Fish? - It's always best to underfeed than overfeed. You may need to invest in food that sinks for your bottom feeders.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MJV Aquatics said:

Yes Prime (and Safe, <the dry version>) is an excellent dechlorinator. It will neutralize ammonia by converting it to relatively harmless ammonium - that the bio-filter will take care of.

As for feeding Are you Overfeeding Your Fish? - It's always best to underfeed than overfeed. You may need to invest in food that sinks for your bottom feeders.

44 minutes ago, Colu said:

You can use as a dechlorinator with your normal water change what fish do you have and how many

I have 4 Black Venezuelan Cory's, 2 Giant Otocinclus Catfish, 3 Normal Sized Otocinclus, 2 Platy's, 6 kuhli loaches, 5 black kuhli's, 3 neon tetras, ember tetras, 3 guppies and a few shrimp varieties . Not a lot, but the Kuhli's don't always eat when the platy's and guppies eat, so I try to make sure I sprinkle a little bit of pellets at night. 

I just think I'm giving  them a bit too large portions since I always see everyone scavenging and it seems to disappear rather quickly, but it could be my imagination. I usually give a pinch of flake food in each side of the aquarium and a tiny shake of pellets in each side. It doesn't come out fast, but I'm thinking just do a pinch of flake food on one side and 1 shake of pellet food on the other.  It comes out about the speed of a salt shaker. 

I think I will cut back on flake food since platy's seem to like eat pellets off the bottom as well. I'll probably do 1 shake of pellet food in the morning and one shake at night. I just don't want my fishies to starve lol 

Edit: Also, quick question, if I use Prime, will I still be able to detect the ammonia? Since it's technically ammonium now? 

Edited by BigRedd

2 hours ago, Colu said:

You could try feeding your catfish hikari algae wafers and hikari sinking wafers they take longer to break down 

Honestly, the catfish just eat algae and literally have 0 interest in algae wafers. I run a heavily planted tank and the few times I have dropped algae wafers in, the cory's and loaches are all over it but the otos stay glued to their wall. Thanks for the tip though