Discus issue

Jeff714

I'm hoping you guys can help me diagnose an issue. One of my Discus has a white singular dot on its side. I've never seen this before. It's seems something has burrowed into its side. Any thoughts or input on what it could be and how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. TYIA 

3 minutes ago, Jeff714 said:

I'm hoping you guys can help me diagnose an issue. One of my Discus has a white singular dot on its side. I've never seen this before. It's seems something has burrowed into its side. Any thoughts or input on what it could be and how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. TYIA 

A photo would help. But based on your post, I can say I do see that rarely on my discus. I don't treat it or give an medication. Eventually it goes away on its own.

Just now, Jeff714 said:

Hi Daniel,

Here’s a picture. Thank you. 

That is pretty much what mine sometimes get. In my experience they go away and don't come back. I don't know what they are, but the discus don't seem to be bothered by them.

What temperature do you keep the your discus at.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

That's a good temperature for discus. I always wondered if the higher temperatures interfere with parasite reproduction.

I keep mine at 85° - 86°F.

I’ve read like that most keep the tank temp like you at 85-86°. I have cory’s, rams and angles in the tank and am trying to find a balance. My guess is that higher temps do midigate some parasites. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

On a side note, I am a '714' aficionado, what with Jack Webb's badge number, Babe Ruth's homeruns, Bastille Day, 5 divided 7, etc. Does the 714 in your username have any significance?

LOL I started using it many year ago. The number seems to pop up a lot. It was also the number on the side of a pill back in the day. And I believe the house number in Leave it to Beaver. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff714 said:

LOL I started using it many year ago. The number seems to pop up a lot. It was also the number on the side of a pill back in the day. And I believe the house number in Leave it to Beaver. 

Yeah, Rorer then Lemmon after '78. I didn't know about Leave it to Beaver!