Is it just me???

Tre

I know I should just stick to reddit or someplace like HERE but I like helping new folks or just browsing. Sometimes you hit great stuff. I’m trying to ignore the bettas in 0.5 gallons and the girl upset her fish died after a 100 water change (which she does each week) but....

peroxide. I’m a chemist. It’s great for cleaning glass, bleaching hair and spot treating things.....

Am I the only human who has shrimp and does not literally pour peroxide into my tank???? I hadn’t heard of doing this. I would only put peroxide in a “working” tank with the filter off and through a syringe to spot treat while keeping inhabitants away. 
An admin for a group literally said they dose their tank with peroxide weekly.... yes it turns to water and oxygen but not before it oxidizes organic material it contacts. I felt like maybe some folks were not speaking up....I advised the person that was worried they may have crashed their cycle but seemed the only one not saying “oh I pour (insert 1-3 ml) per gallon into my tank for (insert algae, disease or other strange reason)”

I’m sorry if anyone doses their tank with peroxide but I must have missed this train. I would be more likely to remove an item, spot treat, wait, replace.... am I wrong???

• Like 1

I see people saying they do this for all sorts of things, but they are treating a symptom instead of solving an imbalance that causes the problem. Which usually leads to "I do this all the time with no problem". Well yeah, you didn't fix the problem so you're repetitively treating the symptom.

Personally, I only carefully spot treat with peroxide or preferably in a hospital tank. I also try to treat whatever is causing the issue that requires peroxide use.

• Like 2