What Brand of Shelving Unit Can House 2 10 Gallon Aquariums Per Shelf?

Matthew Grob

I'm interested in buying a shelving unit that I can use to house 2 10 gallon aquariums for my bettas per shelf, does anyone have any recommendations? And any helpful tips on how to reinforce it to make it "water resistant" and extra sturdy if possible so I won't have any problems down the line. I'm looking for something to fit along these dimensions if possible: 48 in. W x 72 in. H x 18 in. D 

I'm not crafty whatsoever otherwise I'd make my own tank stand, so just buying the shelving unit would work best in my situation. 

that's about 100lb per tank or 200lb per shelf.  That's pretty modest for freestanding shelves. 

I wouldn't get the plastic ones because they tend to weaken over time.  Even the wire ones would work though.  But, I'd get the steel ones with wood shelf inserts.  Costco has a version i like for misc garage use that hold 1000+lb/shelf iirc.

I would also anchor them to the wall just in case.  The thought of one tipping... 😬

but maybe I'm just paranoid.

EDIT: this is the kind I'm thinking of.  It's sold under a million different brands.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-5-Tier-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-with-EZ-Connect-48-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-24-in-D-GARK485XGG/301657823#product-overview

The link is for a 24" deep one but they sell 18" deep ones at costco for < 100$ last i checked (admittedly a couple years since I've bought one)

Edited by CT_
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CT_ said:

that's about 100lb per tank or 200lb per shelf.  That's pretty modest for freestanding shelves. 

I wouldn't get the plastic ones because they tend to weaken over time.  Even the wire ones would work though.  But, I'd get the steel ones with wood shelf inserts.  Costco has a version i like for misc garage use that hold 1000+lb/shelf iirc.

I would also anchor them to the wall just in case.  The thought of one tipping... 😬

but maybe I'm just paranoid.

EDIT: this is the kind I'm thinking of.  It's sold under a million different brands.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-5-Tier-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-with-EZ-Connect-48-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-24-in-D-GARK485XGG/301657823#product-overview

The link is for a 24" deep one but they sell 18" deep ones at costco for < 100$ last i checked (admittedly a couple years since I've bought one)

This is like exactly what I'm looking for, thank you so much!!! Are there any other steps you would recommend me taking to protect it from water spills or anything? Like if I needed to add some kind of coating to it or put something on the actual shelf as well? 

Yeah,  IIRC the shelves are particle board with some laminated coating.  They might not do well with water.  you could replace those with 2x4 cut to size or marine ply wood or just keep an eye on the shelves and act accordingly if you see the particle board swelling.  There's also a version that has heavy wire mesh instead of wood shelves.  I'd still put some thing over the wire like plywood so its level under your tanks in that case.