Anubia leaves melting...?

Karen B.

Plants hate me.... and I hate them too! But when I saw how much of a difference real plants make for the fishes,  I went ahead and spent an insane amount of money on plants.

My anubia barteri in pot from Tropica (sorry Cory, can’t buy your plants in Canada)were perfect when I planted them. Now the tips seems to be melting?

5A2AC512-C71A-45AA-B0EB-1AB687482EEB.png.4889709a24a90af66e75030d8d30b755.png

6C2ED9A3-D8FA-463C-862D-2EC15679483F.jpeg.ad13a57f5c3187abf6d76ce3a511b283.jpeg

(ignore the white - I had glue on my fingers apparently 😖)

Is there a reason why all my anubias leaves end up damaged? 
I use easy green once a week, and put the aquarium coop root tabs too. I planted them last Wednesday. Considering it seems to take half a century for a new leaf to grow, what should I do about the damaged leaves/parts?

Some melt is normal. This looks like normal adjustments. If you have snails they will clean up the dead tips. If not you can trim them a little if you like. They will likely recover. There is a thing called anubias rot--it causes perfectly good leaves to rot off where they connect to the rhizome, which subsequently rots. That is not what this looks like to me. I think you are safe, plants just take a bit of patience.

The tips might have experienced drying out during shipping also.

Edited by Brandy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Some melt is normal. This looks like normal adjustments. If you have snails they will clean up the dead tips. If not you can trim them a little if you like. They will likely recover. There is a thing called anubias rot--it causes perfectly good leaves to rot off where they connect to the rhizome, which subsequently rots. That is not what this looks like to me. I think you are safe, plants just take a bit of patience.

The tips might have experienced drying out during shipping also.

Thank you so much for your answer. I feel reassured. I will have a word with my neritas! 😁 ChopChop, there is work to be done

• Haha 1