First Planted Tank Water parameters

Dracarex

So I am starting a new planted tank and am planning to keep some Neon Tetras, and a single Honey Gourami as a center pice. When I tested my tap water today after dechlorinating it I have a pH: 8.2, kH: 14 , and gH: 3. From what I have researched the gH should be fine but I am not too sure about the pH and kH as I think I want the pH to be around 6~7. Any insight is welcome, Thanks.  

P1050135.JPG

I don't have honey gouramis, but my daughter-in-law has some and we're getting our water from the same well.  I do have sparkling gouramis and pearl gouramis, along with several species of tetra, all thriving in 8.2 pH water.  My advice would be to leave it alone.  Most fish will do better in water that's slightly outside their "ideal" range than they will in water parameters that are fluctuating because the fish keeper is chasing the perfect conditions.  Consistency is best.

By the way, you didn't ask, but most gouramis are social fish and do better in groups.  If you have room I'd encourage you to get a male and two female honeys instead of just one.

• Like 1