5 Gallon Office Tank Ideas

With me getting back into the hobby after the new year, I am considering setting up a 5 gallon tank for my office at work. I am looking on YT, but I am looking for some ideas from you all! Here are several things to consider:

1. The office is typically is 70F, but sometimes gets to 80F for a day or two when the HVAC system acts up.
  2. There is access to an RO water system and can fill a pitcher full of hot or cold water.
  3. I work in a shared space, so equipment must run quiet, not even the sound of bubbles from an airstone.
  4. There will be a lid on the tank, which I imagine will make an airstone accessible despite the requirement above.
  5. For this tank, I don't want critters that breed crazily, if at all.
  6. I easily have the desk space for any typical 5 gallon tank.
  7. Definitely including plants!
  8. The tank must handle being left alone on weekends and, on occasion, extended weekends or holidays.

With the exception of #5, I am completely open to stocking ideas as well as plants. Although the pea puffer has caught my eye, I am not sure how well it would handle the setup as described in this list. Furthermore, even though I have not been in the hobby for myself for a couple years (although I do water changes as one of my side gigs), I do have 8+ years of experience. Therefore, please do not be afraid to recommend potentially tougher stocking or setup ideas for experienced hobbyists.

What are your thoughts? I am eager to hear what you have to say!

I would not recommend pea puffers for a 5 gallon. I would say a 15 gallon minimum. But if you want a 5 gallon, you could do the fluval spec 5. It’s a great kit and the light works perfect with plants. You could do a betta in there for sure. Or you could make it shrimp only, or get some chili rasboras. The stocking is up to you, just make sure it’s not overstocked. 

Plants wise, do whatever. As long as you can keep them alive and thriving. Pearlweed? Sure. Amazon sword? Perfect. It’s really up to you.

• Like 1

FWIW, I kept a solo Pea Puffer in a 5 gallon for years. It was healthy, and seemed happy - if anything, it seemed more relaxed than when I've kept groups of them.

This wasn't a show-quality tank, but definitely could have been planted like one if I had the interest.

If not a pea puffer, you have a few species of Pygmy Sunfish that would do well. They tend to be shy, though, and can be hard to get onto dry foods. Don't know if that would work in an office.

Gilberti.jpg.63e37c46c4e3a5b2eb1d09dc82744920.jpg

A shrimp tank could also work - they would breed like wildfire, but the shrimp can be sold or you can just let the colony grow until it maxes out. They won't really overbreed - they just reach equilibrium.

There's Dwarf Mexican Crayfish, if they're legal where you live. Very cool little things - a 5 gallon would be perfect for one specimen, IMO. Plant it up, scape it, and then watch as the Crayfish makes the tank his own. Mine always dug, moved small rocks around, and would "trim" plants for me. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I loved him.

CPO.jpg.f30f9f06c2c08d41f18fc2fba1d3fa1a.jpg

There's also the usual recommendation of a betta, or maybe a small species of gourami (sparkling gourami, for instance).

One setup that I've had success with that's a tad controversial is a group of 6 white clouds in a standard 5.5 - it's a tight squeeze when they reach adulthood, but I've seen it work. I used to work at petsmart, so when a family came in wanting a group of fish for their 5 or 10 gallon tank, the white clouds were my recommendation. Bulletproof, active, beautiful, and budget-oriented.

I feel as if I should add that most of these recommendations would need to be heated - 70 is low for pea puffers, bettas, gourami, and most other true tropicals. The White Clouds, sunfish, crayfish, and shrimp recommendations would all thrive without a heater. Pretty much any fish you're going to find within reason will be fine up to 80 degrees on occasion, and if you end up with a betta, they'll love it even more.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

I have a 5 gallon with 7 chili rasboras, a bunch of shrimp and a spixi snail. I also have one with 6 dwarf spot rasboras, a bunch of shrimp, and 2 horned nerite snails. My last 5 gallon has a beta - so original, lol. I did have a pea puffer in a 5 gallon, but she seemed too adventurous, so I put her in a 10 gallon. They really like to explore and 5 gallons is kind of small to scape with various places to check out.

I really love all the micro rasboras. Also, rosy loaches! I had some in a 5 gallon but recently moved them to my 15 gallon. I haven't had rocket killifish yet, but they are a wish list fish that Cory said will work in a 5. He has a couple videos on YouTube about 5 gallon stocking ideas. You should definitely look them up!

• Like 1