Can anyone identify this cichlid?

Zeaqua

Hi all! I thought I’d try this again with some “better” photos. (this fish was really hard to get in good lighting!) A while ago, I posted a few pictures of some mystery cichlid that I couldn’t identify. There weren’t any definite results, so I thought I’d try again! I had bought it as Apistogramma Cacatuoides, and I am almost certain it is an Apistogramma, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was in some closely related genus. This individual changes color fairly often, usually being a light tan with a dark patch down its lateral line, but it occasionally switches to a more yellowish hue. My main goal is to find it a mate, and I think this one may be a female, but if you may know the sex, that would also be very helpful! Pics attached below, it would only come out for frozen daphnia though!

IMG_2251.jpeg

IMG_2246.jpeg

IMG_2242.jpeg

IMG_2244.jpeg

It does look like a female nannacara anomola but the tail fin is throwing me off. For the female nannacara the tail fin is clear but this one has some color to it. 

I’d guess a young male apisto macmasteri but I would also check with an apistogramma group to be sure. They’d be able to identify it more accurately. 

• Like 3

I’ll see if I can find any answers from an apisto group! After looking at some pictures of N. anomala, some of the coloration looks similar, but with my individual, the head shape is a bit more pointed. Here’s a side profile that I was just able to get.

IMG_2276.jpeg

• Like 1