Is this an intestinal prolapse?

ange

I noticed this happening about 5 minutes ago in one of my adult angelfish. It is part of a group of 7 in a 150 gallon aquarium. The main change recently was removing the driftwood in the tank and replacing it with rock, as it was not sufficient for creating line of sight blocks. As of right now it is behaving normally compared to the other fish in the tank.

From my perspective it looks like it may have eaten the leg off of the crickets that come out this time of year, strained to pass it, and then prolapsed as a result. The old driftwood poked enough above the water that crickets who fell in could climb onto it and away from the fish but as things are now with the rocks, they're stuck unless they manage to get onto the airline or grate over the overflow to the sump.For now I intend to isolate him in a 20 high that I've added 1 tablespoon of epsom salt to in an effort to relax his muscles enough to hopefully get him back in order. He'll also be offered Super Green or Soilent Green only in contrast to his usual rotation. If anyone has other soft, low protein suggestions I am open, but these are what I have on-hand. He's a very important fish to me so I am hoping that this is not as big of a deal as I am making this out to be.

Parameters:
pH 6.4
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 10
GH 6dGH
KH 5dGH

PXL_20241003_180157435.jpg

Edited by ange
further details

On 10/3/2024 at 7:09 PM, ange said:

I noticed this happening about 5 minutes ago in one of my adult angelfish. It is part of a group of 7 in a 150 gallon aquarium. The main change recently was removing the driftwood in the tank and replacing it with rock, as it was not sufficient for creating line of sight blocks. As of right now it is behaving normally compared to the other fish in the tank.

From my perspective it looks like it may have eaten the leg off of the crickets that come out this time of year, strained to pass it, and then prolapsed as a result. The old driftwood poked enough above the water that crickets who fell in could climb onto it and away from the fish but as things are now with the rocks, they're stuck unless they manage to get onto the airline or grate over the overflow to the sump.For now I intend to isolate him in a 20 high that I've added 1 tablespoon of epsom salt to in an effort to relax his muscles enough to hopefully get him back in order. He'll also be offered Super Green or Soilent Green only in contrast to his usual rotation. If anyone has other soft, low protein suggestions I am open, but these are what I have on-hand. He's a very important fish to me so I am hoping that this is not as big of a deal as I am making this out to be.

Parameters:
pH 6.4
NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 10
GH 6dGH
KH 5dGH

PXL_20241003_180157435.jpg

Is it still hanging out or has it pasted it @ange

On 10/4/2024 at 4:16 PM, Colu said:

Is it still hanging out or has it pasted it @ange

It is still partially hanging and the isolation tank doesn't have any stools in the bottom after it passed (what did end up being) a cricket leg. There doesn't appear to be any blood and since some appears retracted I'm hoping he will recover over the weekend.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2024 at 4:42 AM, Colu said:

You could add a small amount of epsom salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons for 5 days to help him pass it as epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant @ange

Sounds good! He already had one tablespoon dissolved in the 20 high but I can add 3 more. It seems to have retracted more this morning. He's been picking at Soilent Green and pooping normally for the last two days so I'm hoping that this was a one-off from that giant cricket leg that he probably strained to push out.