Fx6 fastener shattered

Cjbear087

That would be a non issue for me. You can still tighten the nut with a wrench or a ratchet and socket in the interim. I would just order the another replacement plastic "wing socket".

Remember to tighten them in a star pattern, and that very tight=broken. Do not overtighten.

Edited by quikv6
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 2:04 PM, quikv6 said:

That would be a non issue for me. You can still tighten the nut with a wrench or a ratchet and socket. I would just order the another replacement plastic "wing socket".

Rememeber to tighten them in a star pattern, and that very tight=broken. Do not overtighten.

So that plastic bit is the only thing that is broken? Everything else looks fine?

On 9/15/2024 at 9:05 AM, Cjbear087 said:

So that plastic bit is the only thing that is broken? Everything else looks fine

Just way over tightened it. That’s all. It’s sealed by the top O-ring. Physical down pressure doesn’t make as much difference as you think. Only tighten them to when it gets decent pressure. And tighten them in opposite pairs. That way the pressure is uniform. Kind of like you’d tighten wheel lug nuts on a car (if you’ve ever done that before). And don’t feel bad about it at all. I’ve got employees that do the same thing. With anything from propane tanks to fertilizer filters. And they should know better. Just have to trust the O-ring to do its job. 

it’s just one of those things we learn. Nbd. You may be able to get a replacement on Amazon. If you’re worried about leaks. Keep the filter in a medium depth pan. Then go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a moisture sensor that will scream at you when it gets wet. Relatively cheap and adds a ton of peace of mind. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 2:48 PM, Tony s said:

Just way over tightened it. That’s all. It’s sealed by the top O-ring. Physical down pressure doesn’t make as much difference as you think. Only tighten them to when it gets decent pressure. And tighten them in opposite pairs. That way the pressure is uniform. Kind of like you’d tighten wheel lug nuts on a car (if you’ve ever done that before). And don’t feel bad about it at all. I’ve got employees that do the same thing. With anything from propane tanks to fertilizer filters. And they should know better. Just have to trust the O-ring to do its job. 

it’s just one of those things we learn. Nbd. You may be able to get a replacement on Amazon. If you’re worried about leaks. Keep the filter in a medium depth pan. Then go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get a moisture sensor that will scream at you when it gets wet. Relatively cheap and adds a ton of peace of mind. 

No worries about leaks, I haven’t set it up yet so I’ll just wait until ive got the replacement fastener. Thanks

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 9:05 AM, Cjbear087 said:

So that plastic bit is the only thing that is broken? Everything else looks fine?

Right. The plastic is just for your ease of closing it. Doesn’t need to be much over finger tight though. 

That’s what my guys do. “It holds lp in! I need to wrench it down!” 😒  No, let the O-ring work. Doesn’t take much pressure 😁