Adhering live plant to a rock

On 9/13/2024 at 6:09 PM, Tony s said:

original super glue. reef glue. any cyano acrylic glue that dries super-fast. can even be used underwater. My only question, can you use it under water with fish present?

Maybe a gel glue that AC sells? That is fish safe correct? 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 7:02 PM, JoeQ said:

Loctite gel

I never knew they made glue. Now... can you glue with fish in the tank? I'm floating anubias for a couple of chunks of driftwood that are semi buried in gravel

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 7:15 PM, Tony s said:

I never knew they made glue. Now... can you glue with fish in the tank? I'm floating anubias for a couple of chunks of driftwood that are semi buried in gravel

I never glued underwater, I usually remove the objects from the tank. If I wanted to attach a plant to submerged structure I'd probably use a plant weight to hold the plant to the object and let the plant attach itself. 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 3

On 9/13/2024 at 7:21 PM, JoeQ said:

I never glued underwater

yeah, me either. Iv'e heard the glue reacts better underwater. and it was fully running before I got the plants. I was hoping to sneak it in. But, maybe the fishing line is better

• Like 1

I’ve glued underwater a lot.  Even with the gel you need to move pretty fast.  Have your spot picked out, determine how you’re going to position the plant so it lays into place without tension on the rhizome. If it lays easily into place without flexing roots or rhizome it is more likely to stay until properly rooted into place.  Then apply 1 to 3 dots of glue to protruding portions of the rhizome, then swiftly move the plant into place.  You don’t need to create a tsunami getting it there but you can’t dilly dally either.  Hold it in place very still for about 15 seconds longer than you think it will need.  Then gently pry your fingers away in case you got carried away with the glue.  😃 

If you can lift the piece receiving the plant out of the water, it’s easier.  Or drop the water level a bit (even if you can’t fully expose the recipient spot) it’s easier.  It does sometimes take a couple tries but that’s true gluing out of the water, too.  Put the glue on any somewhat protruding bits of the rhizome or a sturdy bit of root, or at least on the bits most likely to be in contact with the recipient spot without having to mash the plant down, and don’t get carried away with the glue.  If gluing to well aged wood or rocks, wipe away some of the biofilm for a better chance of good adhesion the first time.  Superglue of any kind will set up white (unless you buy the colored stuff) so you really want small dots.  Small dots tend to work better anyway.  Too much glue can damage the rhizome, especially if it wraps around it.

Happy gluing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1