Benefits of aquarium light riser?

Root

I have been seeing these light riser mount things popping up here and there and was wondering if there was any benefit besides maybe overheating or water splashing as far the light itself goes. Does anyone have experience with them or use them in some type of way for plants? Are there any cons? Does raising the light an inch or more have effects? 

Good for small tanks, for example if you look at the co-op light’s par rating, it is incredibly intense in the center at 12” of water depth. Off centerline, it drops rapidly. Risers all you to raise the fixture up to spread the light out instead of having an algae bar in the middle of the tank and anubias and moss tucked in the corners. 

On 9/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, mynameisnobody said:

your tank is near your bed or a couch, don’t use the riser unless you want light in your eyes constantly. The bleed off it horrendous.

I have Chihiros WRGB2 pro lights on my tank and they have built in risers to allow you to set height.   And yes, light bleed is annoying when raised.  I ended up buying reflector shades made for them.  This both shades them from your eyes and have mirrored reflectors underneath redirecting light back into the tank…

the light spread is much nicer.

I had Fluval planted 3.0s and the drop off of light to either side of directly underneath is significant.   Having it so close to the water surface makes it more pronounced…

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 9:53 PM, Potterygal said:

Beautiful tank/ plants! I

Well, thank you…

It is desperately in need of servicing right now.  I havent been able to service the tank for 2 weeks now as My wife has been in hospital for the past month and I have bren down there daily for 14 hours a day…

she is coming home today, so hoping to be able to heavily prune back this week and give the tank a good cleaning and water change….  So far Algae has been kept at bay, but it really needs some attention…