FX4 Reducing Flow?

Mercfh

Any advice on this? I have an FX4 on a 55gallon and while it is nice, the directed turbulence is kicking up a bunch of sand/etc...

I've heard people say you can reduce the flow by removing the "duckbill" things out the outlet but i'm not sure if that'll work/help?

I guess a spray bar is the other alternative?

I did reduce the nozzle to about 75% output which helped some

Try setting the outflow to go along the surface of the water. That gives you the most surface agitation without (hopefully) disturbing your substrate. Has the added benefit of reducing duckweed when you get it. And have the return next to your outflow pipe. That gives you maximum tank flow. 

spraybars work fine as well. But the flow pattern is different 

worst case scenario, take off the nozzles and put a pre filter sponge there. Just taking off the nozzle may not be enough. The force of the water is still from a small area. Prefilter would spread it out significantly 

Vallisneria does some heavy lifting when it comes to stopping flow,   I have the same filter tank as you,   the outtake bit is quite flexible and you can turn them around somewhat that one shoots up in to a corner and the other one along the back of the aquarium.

On 9/6/2024 at 2:42 AM, Ravelle said:

Vallisneria does some heavy lifting when it comes to stopping flow,   I have the same filter tank as you,   the outtake bit is quite flexible and you can turn them around somewhat that one shoots up in to a corner and the other one along the back of the aquarium.

So you also have a FX4 in a 55gallon? What have you done to reduce the flow or has it been ok so far for your fish/plants?

Honestly it's really the left directional outlet that causes issues, I have my intake on the left side of the tank and my output on the left side of the tank as well (but to the right of the intake) and the valve pointing right doesn't seem to cause issues, it's the left one thats shooting up against the glass that causes all the turbulence.

Also I am curious....do plants care about flow? I guess there are delicate ones that dont' like it but i'd assume most do like it?

Edited by Mercfh