Gill Flare

MWilk

I have had this paradise fish for a few months now, he is a total jerk, but very pretty, lively, and eats well. His gill plates have always been flared out, and his fins are fairly clamped. The fins seems to be a paradise fish normal thing, but it's hard to find good info on these guys. Seems like most people don't like them at all.  Is there anything to be concerned about here? I treated him for gill flukes when I got him, in quarantine for 2 weeks just in case. None of the other fish have any issues. Is he just deformed? Normal?

IMG_4935[1].PNG

On 9/4/2024 at 8:17 PM, Colu said:

Your water parameters are fine it Could be a genetic deformitie or damage to the Gill plate  or Gill hyperplasia @MWilk

Thanks. Fins look normal to you for the type of fish? Most paradise fish I’ve seen have this pinched down look. 

looks like a she. clamped can be genetic, but it also can be bacterial. fish usually clamp when they get bactrial problems. when I get new fish or have a fish with any type of external problem I do a 3 step treatment. use 4 containers with about 2 L in each. 1st container 30gr salt/L, 2nd container, 4mg potassium permanganate (PP) / L; 3rd container 0.5ml hydrogen peroxide /L;  4th container use as a rest tank between baths.
Into the 1st container salt for about 3~5 mins depending on how the fish acts. this is a very heavy dose and will screw with their buoyancy, so watch them for over stress. they will float at the top but usually will dip around. it need to be strong to kill any fungus, parasites. the salt will shrivel the pathogens on the fish. then into the rest container for 10 mins or until fish is looking ok

Into the 2nd container PP for 5 mins. water should be purple color. again watch for stress but this dose should be fine. PP is an oxidant so be careful, it will lower the oxygen level and can kill. if the fish start to thrash at the surface, move it to the rest container. wait until recovered.

into the 3rd container with peroxide. this is also an oxidant and will remove any necrotic tissue from the PP and clean wounds from the flukes. let the fish sit for 5~10 mins then back to rest tank.

after the treatment use a mixture of acriflavinium chloride as a mild antiseptic/disinfectant in the rest tank for 24 hours

see if that clears up the gills and the fins problems

actually, paradise fish if healthy usually have spread fins. sometimes the genetics are clamped, but not usually. this fish is not in good health. fins are tatter and worn. maybe age or maybe fighting a long time ailment.

IMG_20231125_131017.jpg

IMG_20231125_131227.jpg

Edited by rjv23
  • Thanks 2