My 10 gal betta tank

Hey guys. So this is a tank I've had for around 7 or 8 years now. Recently, my betta fish Domino passed away. This left my tank open for the betta fish I just got!

20240831_171021.jpg.12c66f8e6c3d9f60983c673898c5511c.jpg

I'm unsure of what to name him. Supposedly, hes a blue alien betta and he is absolutely stunning even at his young age and small size.

20240831_170955.jpg.60b0e7683a039e95d64a7a20a277e0cc.jpg

He has much growing to do both physically and emotionally with me.

Edited by JS Fish
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Thanks, I like both of those names. I'm gonna give him another day or two of learning about his personality to decide.

I'm glad you like the tank. I redid the tank a couple days before getting him in hope of making it look nice.

Yea, Domino was a great betta, but he had cancer on his side for almost a year before he passed.

• Sad 1

On 9/1/2024 at 12:19 PM, JS Fish said:

Thanks, I like both of those names. I'm gonna give him another day or two of learning about his personality to decide.

I'm glad you like the tank. I redid the tank a couple days before getting him in hope of making it look nice.

Yea, Domino was a great betta, but he had cancer on his side for almost a year before he passed.

Oh no! That's awful. I hope he wasn't suffering too badly 😞

What is the gallon size for the tank? 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 2:15 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

Oh no! That's awful. I hope he wasn't suffering too badly 😞

What is the gallon size for the tank? 

Its 10 gallons. Unfortunately, my new betta jumped out of the tank and is dead. I had a lid but I guess that wasn't enough.

• Sad 4

WHAT! Omg thats horrible. It was such a pretty betta... 

Well, look on the bright side. You can now do some more things with your tank. Some bettas can live with other fish if you do it right. Im going to guess you are probably going to get another betta in the future for your tank. May I suggest waiting for that and doing this instead (if you want, this is just my grand idea). If betta fish are added to a tank where there is already fish and enough room so that they aren't squished I have seen it work. The key is that the fish are already there so the betta thinks he/she is entering their territory so they are less aggressive than if you added fish into the bettas territory. If you wanna add some White Cloud Minnows @Whitecloud09 can help you with that. If you want some other schooling fish you could get neon/cardinal tetras. Or if you want some absolutly adorable fishies may I reccomend Ottos or Corydora Catfish.

Again, I am so sorry to hear that your juvenile fish died. Make sure to keep that lid on tight. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 6:39 PM, JS Fish said:

Its 10 gallons. Unfortunately, my new betta jumped out of the tank and is dead. I had a lid but I guess that wasn't enough.

I am so sorry to here this about your betta! If you want another betta, you could go with a female betta (less aggressive betta) and add some type of rasbora or tetra. For example, chilli rasbora, galaxy, or neon green neon, or cardinal tetra! 

On 9/1/2024 at 6:47 PM, CoryWithAKatana said:

WHAT! Omg thats horrible. It was such a pretty betta... 

Well, look on the bright side. You can now do some more things with your tank. Some bettas can live with other fish if you do it right. Im going to guess you are probably going to get another betta in the future for your tank. May I suggest waiting for that and doing this instead (if you want, this is just my grand idea). If betta fish are added to a tank where there is already fish and enough room so that they aren't squished I have seen it work. The key is that the fish are already there so the betta thinks he/she is entering their territory so they are less aggressive than if you added fish into the bettas territory. If you wanna add some White Cloud Minnows @Whitecloud09 can help you with that. If you want some other schooling fish you could get neon/cardinal tetras. Or if you want some absolutly adorable fishies may I reccomend Ottos or Corydora Catfish.

Again, I am so sorry to hear that your juvenile fish died. Make sure to keep that lid on tight. 

Yes for Wccms, they could be ok with a betta, but might get kinda tight though... so if you are open to another type of fish, wcmm is A GREAT easy-to-keep fish! Gold wcmms are beautiful! Or long fin, or standard. I love mine in my 10g aquarium. 5 of them, 4 males and one female. I plan to do a big breeding project. Private message me if you want some info from experience on those!! Whatever you decide, good luck @JS Fish!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, JS Fish said:

I've had it in there for about two years now. When it gets to big, I cut the top off, throw away the bottom, and replant the top.

It’s strange, it’s all emersed growth type. 

On 9/2/2024 at 4:07 PM, JS Fish said:

@MWilk,

Can it grow out of the water?

Absolutely, and it stays in that broad leafed form you have a bunch of there. 

When allowed to grow entirely underwater, it converts to lacy branching leaves. It can become quite bushy and take over a tank easily. It’s my favorite plant. 

I propagate mine wherever it decides to grow roots mid stem. It has turned into a large fry protecting bush. 

IMG_4928.jpeg

Edited by MWilk

On 9/2/2024 at 5:29 PM, MWilk said:

Absolutely, and it stays in that broad leafed form you have a bunch of there. 

When allowed to grow entirely underwater, it converts to lacy branching leaves. It can become quite bushy and take over a tank easily. It’s my favorite plant. 

I propagate mine wherever it decides to grow roots mid stem. It has turned into a large fry protecting bush. 

IMG_4928.jpeg

Most of my water wisteria in my other tanks has the lacy leaves. Sometimes though, the leafs will grow more round.

On 9/2/2024 at 8:26 PM, MWilk said:

If it reaches the surface it can produce those leaves lower down the plant. They’re less efficient at gas and nutrient exchange in water. 

Oh, ok. Thanks! I always wondered about that.