Tank Cycle and Cleaning Filter Cartridge

Hello!

I have been cycling my tank, almost completed the process about 8 weeks out from the start.

I was told not to change the filter media because I'd lose my beneficial bacteria and it would start all over but I have also heard if sudden ammonia issues after nitrates had been stabilized can come from a dirty filter. wondering if that could be true? I had cleaned the cartridge (with dechlorinated water) a week ago just to avoid it getting too dirty with waste. At what point should the filter be changed vs just cleaned? 

my understanding is that you dont want to replace early on in the cycling process but it is ok once nitrates are in the tank because beneficial bacteria are on more than just the filter at that point?

Also any thoughts on changing to sponge filter vs current hob?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 12:55 PM, Newbie-ishfish said:

At what point should the filter be changed vs just cleaned

I usually only replace a cartridge when it actually starts to disintegrate. When it isn't any value in washing it again. And yes, for a new cycle it's counterproductive to change it. When your tank becomes established it's not a big deal. the beneficial bacteria also live on every solid surface in the tank. so, changing a cartridge becomes no big deal. Now, they also make a foam you can cut to fit your tank. and those you use in place of the cartridge. and almost never replace.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/sponge-pad-coarse

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/fine-poly-pad

• Like 1

There are so many types of filters there is no way to answer this. Well I guess you could but that is just what it would be a guess. For my fluval 407 I don't change anything just clean. For my tidal 75 I just replace the floss on top. What filter do you have?

• Like 3

On 8/28/2024 at 3:24 PM, Newbie-ishfish said:

I still have the HOB that came with the kit the TopFin Silenstream that uses the PF-L filter cartridges.

Yeah, I have all 3 sizes of those. and a couple of others. I honestly don't mind changing cartridges much. But i rinse them until they're starting to fall apart. Probably 2 months or more per cartridge. I usually run them over to the sink and use the spray wand on them. That seems to do the trick nicely. With the realization that I have no chlorine in my water. But, for just a quick rinse like that, chlorine is not something you should be worried about. Yes, it will kill a minor amount of bacteria. No, it won't kill enough to damage your cycle. And the bacteria also live everywhere else in your tank as well. so, no big deal.

Edited by Tony s
  • Like 2

HONESTLY: Do not clean your HOB filter until you see the flow start to degrade. Only then, its time for you to change the filter or clean it. I'm not a big fan of "cartridge" style filters. I prefer filters that you can just add sponges and biomedia.

But since you just cycled your aquarium, I would not change the filter for at least 2 months. Let the inside of your aquarium get a nice colony of bacteria before you consider change the filter media.

If you are considering a Sponge Filter, Put that in your tank now and leave your old filter hooked up for at least two months.  Adding a new filter while leaving your old one will not overload your system.

FYI: Beneficial Bacteria grows on anything that's in your aquarium. The glass, the Substrate, The rocks, etc.. It doesn't only grow in your filter.

On 8/28/2024 at 10:46 PM, Dacotua said:

FYI: Beneficial Bacteria grows on anything that's in your aquarium. The glass, the Substrate, The rocks, etc.. It doesn't only grow in your filter.

Agree completely!  My personal experience with that is in a 3yr old planted tank.  When I had a canister filter, one time I forgot to plug it back in after routine maintenance.  24hrs later, the substrate bacteria and plants handled everything just fine, and I had no ammonia or nitrites.  Nitrates were a normal level for that tank.  That experience gave me peace of mind for when something fails, or after a mistake like mine.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 1:10 PM, Tony s said:

I usually only replace a cartridge when it actually starts to disintegrate. When it isn't any value in washing it again. And yes, for a new cycle it's counterproductive to change it. When your tank becomes established it's not a big deal. the beneficial bacteria also live on every solid surface in the tank. so, changing a cartridge becomes no big deal. Now, they also make a foam you can cut to fit your tank. and those you use in place of the cartridge. and almost never replace.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/sponge-pad-coarse

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/filtration/products/fine-poly-pad

Yes dechlor water cleaning is fine. I haven’t changed mine in 4 months. Chock full of BB. So when I clean I don’t worry. I usually clean in tank water that I take out during water change. I agree 👍🏻

On 8/28/2024 at 3:24 PM, Newbie-ishfish said:

I still have the HOB that came with the kit the TopFin Silenstream that uses the PF-L filter cartridges. 

Yes me too actually!

On 8/28/2024 at 5:39 PM, Tony s said:

Yeah, I have all 3 sizes of those. and a couple of others. I honestly don't mind changing cartridges much. But i rinse them until they're starting to fall apart. Probably 2 months or more per cartridge. I usually run them over to the sink and use the spray wand on them. That seems to do the trick nicely. With the realization that I have no chlorine in my water. But, for just a quick rinse like that, chlorine is not something you should be worried about. Yes, it will kill a minor amount of bacteria. No, it won't kill enough to damage your cycle. And the bacteria also live everywhere else in your tank as well. so, no big deal.

Yep nailed it @Tony s. I only change when water is getting a lil more cloudy. And like u said when it is starting to crumple lol. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 12:43 PM, mynameisnobody said:

If it were me, I’d replace the filter so I never have to replace anything again. The hobby can be tough enough as it is, I don’t want to add chores that could potentially harm the aquarium. They really should stop selling that stuff.

Yeah. All for the money. Most are at least 15 bucks just for 3 CARTRIDGES. So maybe replace or just go with a sponge pad that lasts longer. 

But how would the filter companys get more of your money? ☹️ The rationale behind this strategy is to generate long-term sales volume by reducing the time between repeat purchases (referred to as "shortening the replacement cycle"). It is the deliberate shortening of the lifespan of a product to force people to purchase functional replacements.

• Like 1