Summer tubbing annual killis?

OnlyGenusCaps

Has anyone tried summer tubbing annual killifish?  I've been happily tubbing WCMM for a few summers, but I have to store them inside for 7-9 months of the year.  I was thinking if I got annual killis like Nothobranchius guentheri, which might be able to take my hard water better, I could just store them as eggs rather than having to keep the fish alive.  , which might be able to take my hard water better, I could just store them as eggs rather than having to keep the fish alive.  However, I am not an experienced killi keeper.  Do any experienced keepers have any thoughts in whether this experiment might succeed?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

On 8/25/2024 at 11:22 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Has anyone tried summer tubbing annual killifish?  I've been happily tubbing WCMM for a few summers, but I have to store them inside for 7-9 months of the year.  I was thinking if I got annual killis like Nothobranchius guentheri, which might be able to take my hard water better, I could just store them as eggs rather than having to keep the fish alive.  , which might be able to take my hard water better, I could just store them as eggs rather than having to keep the fish alive.  However, I am not an experienced killi keeper.  Do any experienced keepers have any thoughts in whether this experiment might succeed?  Thanks in advance!

It’s possible. But Nothos typically live at least 6 months. N. guentheri can live 18 mo. - 2 yrs. N. rachovii are, in my experience, shorter lived. I tried hatching killi eggs in an outside tub this year, but got nothing at all. I’d say it’s worth trying once, but don’t break your bank investing in expensive eggs / brooders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, sir!  I figured I would need to treat them like pepper plants - i.e. start them indoors and transplant them to their outdoor location once they are hardy enough.  If that makes sense.  I have pretty hard water, and figured N. rachovii would be out because of that little detail.  I was also under the impression that longevity was correlated with water temperature; with warmer water reducing lifespan.  Given my tubs can get quite toasty here (today will be 33C), I anticipate shorter lives for the fish.  But we'll see I suppose.  Might have to report back on what I find out next summer.

I guess the other thing is figuring out how long the eggs can be stored.  Like if I need to store them 8-9 months will that reduce viability?  I imagine this varies by species as well.  Time for more research! 

• Like 2

One year I raised them outside. I had a tub with a string daphnia culture going, hatched a batch of N Eggersi, and a few days later I put them in the tub. They grew much faster than the batch I kept inside. 

That said, I didn't try being them out there

• Thanks 1