Upgrade Filter worth it?

Mercfh

So i'm having a bit of a conundrum with my 55g, it feels constantly dirty or algae infested. It feels like my 407 cannot keep up. My parameters stay fine but I feel like it doesn't have enough "flow" to pick up stuff, and the filter seems to get clogged easily.

It is heavily stocked but nothing crazy.

I've considered going from a Fluval 407 to maybe an FX or FX4 (They are on sale right now).

I've also considered just upping to a 75 gallon. However that's obviously a lot of extra expense (although technically my topfin stand is built to withstand 75 gallons.....but it does make me a little nervous (And the 75's gallons that are on sale now are MarineLand, which i've heard negative things about).

Im torn. Any advice? I could get a 75 gallon for just like 100 extra. But I am nervous about A. the stand and B. it being a marineland. But it would give me more wiggle room.

FWIW the stand is this: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aquarium-stands/top-fin-aquarium-stand---55-to-75-gallon-5309136.html

I'm not sure if it's MDF or what. it feels sturdy....but that extra 20 gallons does make me nervous.

Your 407 definitely will keep up with your 55 gallon tank. Some people just run a sponge filter with a 55 gallon tank.

Truth is, most people really over filter their tanks. IF your tank is algae infested its because your not balancing your lighting time (Having lights on like 12 hours a day or more) on the tank or you have it next to a window or something like that.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 10:27 PM, Mercfh said:

So i'm having a bit of a conundrum with my 55g, it feels constantly dirty or algae infested. It feels like my 407 cannot keep up. My parameters stay fine but I feel like it doesn't have enough "flow" to pick up stuff, and the filter seems to get clogged easily.

I have no doubt the 407 has plenty of biofiltration for a 55 gallon.  At 245 gph, you have nearly 5 times gallonage of tank which is certainly within the ballpark of acceptable.  I run 207s on my 29 gallons and have less flow per gallon a d I feel it is more than adequate.

I do run my flow through a spray bar to distribute it better than the stock nozzle.

The spray bar is on the back of the tank just below the surface and directs the water to the front of the tank which then flows to the bottom of the tank, across the bottom and back up the back wall to the surface of the tank.

I have found that having cories in the tank to be quite beneficial in stirring up sediment , mulm from the surface by their constant motion around the bottom and resuspending stuff giving the flow additional chances to remove it.

can you describe in more detail why you perceive the filter clogs easily?  The owner manual recommends cleaning it monthly.  I do so and notice no noticeable difference in flow before and after filter cleanings.  I find a filter servicing takes maybe 15-20 minutes with doing it monthly and is far less onerous than those videos I have watched of people servicing their canister filters every 6 months or so…

I also feel that servicing my filter monthly helps to reduce dissolved organics from the tank that aids in keeping algae at bay.

I love the following quote from the 2 hr aquarist website,

Plants that are growing robustly produce an array of anti-microbial chemicals; various  alkaloids, terpenes, phenolics, as a defence against pathogens and microbes. Plants will prioritize defending the valuable new leaves first, as these newest leaves are optimized and adapted to the current environment and contribute the most. Leaves have limited plasticity, so older leaves have limited ability to be adapted to new environments. Parallel to this, the plant may draw reserve energy and nutrients from older leaves to fund the growth of new leaves. The bigger the change in environment, the more we see this in play. As the plant abandon defending the older leaves, metabolites leak from the leaf margins and attract algae to spawn.

While the exact mechanism of plant defences and algae triggers can be complicated, the useful observation is this: Old or unhealthy leaves attract algae, while robustly grown, fresh new leaves are algae resistant. While hobbyists have been obsessed with correlating particular nutrients or parameters with algae growth, the far more common trigger for algae in most tanks is unhealthy/old leaves which plants have given up defending. Plants sacrifice old growth when they are under adaptation stress or not getting their needs fulfilled.”

Studying and incorporating information on the 2 hr aquarist website helped me dramatically reduce algae from my tanks. It involves more work than buying a bigger more powerful filter, but I suspect it would be far more effective at combatting algae for you.

• Love 1

I run many 07 series. The best thing I found to get that crystal clear look and great flow is removing the white floss removing the carbon and that green pad. 
I use only the sponge material that came with it. In the compartments I use only aquanaut 20 & 30 ppi foam 

If you are finding debris settling then you are overfeeding by a lot  cut back on feeding by half  

Algae as already mentioned is lights to high/long  to much nutrients ie overfed food /fertilizer  

vacuum up your debris and cut back feeding and lighting and wait a 3-4 weeks  I think you will be pleasantly surprised  

• Like 1

I have thought about using the money to go c02 as well. Since that would help plant growth and combat algae, but I am a bit worried since it seems intimidating. But it would be the "cheapest" option.

Instituting CO2 was the beginning of being able to get algae under control for me.  It was not the magic bullet but it was a significant help and made everything easier, but it is a significant investment to get quality equipment.

again, it was reading every article on algae I could find on the 2 Hr Aquarist site and putting those lessons into practice that brought me success.

Since getting success in maintaining tanks free of visible algae, I have started up another non co2 supplemented tank, and ended up shutting off the CO2 to another tank.  Those two tanks now grow much slower, and I also simply top off the water in them and do not do weekly water changes in them.  I have been able to keep those plants growing healthy albeit much slower, and have kept them free of visible algae as well.  So clearly you do not “need” CO2 to have an algae free tank.