Smell comming from tank

Not normal. Do you see any brown sludgy looking algae or film coating stuff? If so, grab a finger full of it and smell that. If it's horrible, it's very likely blue green algae. which is a bacteria. Several people in the last week have had it, including me.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2024 at 1:28 PM, Tony s said:

Not normal. Do you see any brown sludgy looking algae or film coating stuff? If so, grab a finger full of it and smell that. If it's horrible, it's very likely blue green algae. which is a bacteria. Several people in the last week have had it, including me.

Yes I totally agree. I had that once a while back (a while) too.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2024 at 1:47 PM, Wonlee808 said:

Bga?? Is that harmful to my tank??

The blue-green slime is not only an ugly sight but also foul-smelling. Furthermore, blue-green algae produces toxins which can be harmful plants in your aquarium. If the slime covers a plant completely, it will not be able to get sunlight and die as a result. So here is a link to ACs website about BGA (Blue green algae)

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/blue-green-algae?srsltid=AfmBOoomnk_8oxhviQiKulfxhYXyD5jrv-na6lzVtcg4e_NfcrwfF7yf

Can be harmful to your  fish too, but not super likely.

• Like 1

Thank you!!! I saw also saw a video from co op saying I can use a toothbrush .. I’m guessing since I’ve got the majority of it off I can just rinse my filter tomorrow and should be fine ??

IMG_9991.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 1:37 PM, Wonlee808 said:

Is this what you’re talking about ???

no. That's just fine. it's a bacterial bloom. not a big deal. How long has the tank been running? What did you use to cycle it . Is it confirmed cycle? no ammonia no nitrites?

Blue green slime is mostly on the parts of your tank with low turnover and low oxygen. Usually not on a recent tank. The stuff coming off the wood is completely normal for all new driftwood. It's not harmless. In fact, fish and snails will both eat it

• Like 3

Tony s. U responded to my other post I’m the one that started a new tank and have no idea what’s going on thank you so much for your involvement as you and the others in this community is really helping. I am two and a half weeks in and not sure if I’m cycled yet as stated in my other post ( asking about my levels and the roots growing from my stem plants ) but yes this is my first set up ever and am trying to learn my goal for this is I have one snail in here right now would like one betta and a few shrimp 

This is what it looks like now 

IMG_9992.jpeg

• Like 4

Thank you. I guess it was that bga after i cleaned it out this morning I checked right now and the smell is gone thank you all and @tlindsey ur right now that I think of it it was more of that fresh soil smell 

• Like 2

Interesting! The stuff on your wood looks like biofilm to me which usually doesn’t have a smell at all.

The other thing I was going to suggest is checking if there’s any fish food stuck on the rim of your tank, because that can start rotting and smell horrible. But it also looks like your tank is rimless anyways😂

• Like 1